HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » I'm undecided
Undecided 36%
Elizabeth Warren21%
Joe Biden13%
Kamala Harris8%
Bernie Sanders8%

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:06 AM

I'm undecided

I really don't want to invest in a candidate now when my state's primary is a year away and they could by out of the race by then.

However, in recent days I have bee coming to the thinking that the best ticket to beat Trump next year is Biden/Harris.

Biden will bring back those white middle class Obama voters who switched to Trump in 16 plus moderate independents. Harris will attract women and people of color.

I could be wrong but really think Biden/Harris is the strongest ticket.

Any thoughts?
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

10 replies, 586 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm undecided (Original post)
Trumpocalypse Jun 2019 OP
RedParrot Jun 2019 #1
Trumpocalypse Jun 2019 #3
RedParrot Jun 2019 #5
Trumpocalypse Jun 2019 #9
RedParrot Jun 2019 #10
MineralMan Jun 2019 #2
caraher Jun 2019 #4
question everything Jun 2019 #6
marylandblue Jun 2019 #7
ColesCountyDem Jun 2019 #8

Response to Trumpocalypse (Original post)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

1. Let the process play itself out

I find it offensive the trial balloons of pairing Biden with Stacey Abrams and Kamala Harris, two women that should be at the top of any ticket.

Looking forward to the debates!
Undecided

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RedParrot (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:20 AM

3. Not a trial balloon

Just some random thoughts of mine.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Trumpocalypse (Reply #3)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:38 AM

5. Biden/Abrams and Biden/Harris trial balloons

Before Biden announced his candidacy, Biden supporters floated Stacey Abrams as his running mate. After Abrams threw cold water on that trial balloon, Biden supporters floated Kamala Harris as his running mate. Harris response was that a ticket with her at the top and Biden as her running mate would be a great ticket.

Many folks, myself included, found it offensive that highly talented women of color had their names mentioned in a subordinate position to a septuagenarian white male to make him more palatable to younger voters.

Like I said, let the process play itself out. At this point in time in 2007, Barack Obama was a virtual unknown.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to RedParrot (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 01:25 PM

9. I'm not throwing at a trial balloon for anyone

I was just sharing my own thoughts.
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to Trumpocalypse (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 01:33 PM

10. I understand that

I was only pointing out what happened earlier this year.

We havenít had the first debate yet. Early polls are just that, early polls. Obama trailed Hillary by double digits at this same period in 2007. Obama became the nominee.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:19 AM

2. I agree that Biden/Harris would be an excellent ticket.

A winning ticket. Frankly, that's what's important right now - winning!
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:35 AM

4. I'd certainly support that ticket if Biden wound up as our candidate

But especially at this early stage, my thinking is based more on who would be the best president than on electioneering. It's still very early and Biden has a lot of advantages unrelated to how good he would be as president. I'd much rather see Harris/Biden than Biden/Harris, based on what Harris stands for, her intelligence, etc. Obviously Warren is my top choice now for similar reasons.

I rarely see promotion of Biden go much beyond these relatively shallow "electability" arguments. While I get the strategy of running candidates with broad appeal, Biden's stock in trade is less carefully-crafted policy or a forward-looking vision than a combination of geniality and a vague nostalgia for a hazy past when people in Washington worked together for the good of the country. Plus evoking positive feelings associated with Obama. None of that says, to me, that he is the best choice to do the job of president.

I also think current polling is a terrible way to assess who stands the best chance of defeating Trump. At this point in the last election cycle, Clinton outpolled Trump by double digits. (Scroll to the bottom; in May through July 2015 she led by at least 12 points in every poll, including a whopping 24 points in a late June CNN poll.) The "safe" choice... well, we all saw what happened; Clinton did win the vote, but not by enough to win the White House over Russian interference, etc.

Rather than trying to "bring back into the fold" middle-class white voters, it strikes me as a better strategy to run to our base, our strength and our future and get an energized electorate behind someone willing to take a strong positive stand on the issues that shape the lives of ordinary people. We have several strong women in this field. We have minority candidates. I know how to make a strong case for many of our candidates, but I have a hard time doing much with Biden beyond saying he's a stand-up guy, a lot of people seem to like him, he was Obama's right-hand man... I'd like to have a lot more than that to say about our standard bearer in 2020.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:40 AM

6. Somehow I don't see Harris taking a back seat to anyone

unless Biden declares that he will serve only one term and she would be there in the front of the line.

Still, both are coastal. I think that Biden should have someone from middle America: Castro, Mayor Pete, Klobuchar, Hickenlooper or Montana's Bullock. I don't think that Beto would like to be second to anyone, either.
Amy Klobuchar

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 11:41 AM

7. The bottom of the ticket is really an afterthought.

We like to speculate, but when you vote, you vote for the President, not knowing who your candidate will want as VP, let alone whether your preferred VP would even take the job. If I were were Harris and offered the VP slot, I'd turn it down and ask for AG. But that's just my own speculation.
Elizabeth Warren

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 1, 2019, 12:29 PM

8. I would personally like that ticket

Your 1st instinct was the proper one, I think: it's too early to become invested.

Undecided

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread