HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » The national Domestic Vio...
Undecided 36%
Elizabeth Warren18%
Joe Biden13%
Kamala Harris10%
Bernie Sanders8%

Fri May 10, 2019, 09:49 AM

The national Domestic Violence Hotline

SEPTEMBER 13, 1994

President Clinton signs VAWA, which authorizes the creation of the National Domestic Violence Hotline.

Today

The HotlineŽ is the only 24/7 center in the nation that has access to service providers and shelters across the U.S. Today, The Hotline continues to grow and explore new avenues of service.

National Domestic Violence Hotline

WHAT IS THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT?

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a landmark piece of legislation that sought to improve criminal justice and community-based responses to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking in the United States.

The passage of VAWA in 1994 and its reauthorization in 2000, 2005 and 2013, has changed the landscape for victims who once suffered in silence. Victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking have been able to access services, and a new generation of families and justice system professionals has come to understand that domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking are crimes that our society will not tolerate.

Below, our advocates share their opinions on why the recent reauthorization of VAWA was critically important:

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Office on Violence Against Women

The mission of the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW), a component of the U.S. Department of Justice, is to provide federal leadership in developing the national capacity to reduce violence against women and administer justice for and strengthen services to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.

Through the administration of the Grants to Reduce Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence and Stalking on Campus and the Technical Assistance Programs, OVW supports the development of effective culturally-relevant campus-based programming that builds upon strong campus and community partnerships with the goals of strengthening services to victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking and promoting multifaceted prevention strategies within the campus community.

Center For Changing Our Campus Culture

Both the National Domestic Violence Hotline and the Office on Violence Against Women came about from the implementation of the Violence Against Women's Act.

The Violence Against Women Act is one of Joe Biden's signature pieces of legislation.

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

4 replies, 273 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The national Domestic Violence Hotline (Original post)
WeekiWater May 2019 OP
Merlot May 2019 #1
WeekiWater May 2019 #2
Merlot May 2019 #3
WeekiWater May 2019 #4

Response to WeekiWater (Original post)

Fri May 10, 2019, 11:32 AM

1. Wish he would have named it something else.

Kamala Harris

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Merlot (Reply #1)

Fri May 10, 2019, 11:34 AM

2. Can you elaborate? NT

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to WeekiWater (Reply #2)

Fri May 10, 2019, 11:41 AM

3. "Violence Against Women" is just a reminder of what is wrong

Maybe "Stop Violence Against Women"

"Enabling Women to Escape Violence"

"Womens Empowerment Act" - I know, that would scare off the republicans from voting for it.

Kamala Harris

Reply to this post

Response to Merlot (Reply #3)

Fri May 10, 2019, 11:56 AM

4. I think a reminder of "what is wrong" is always a good thing. Direct.

The name today has such strong recognition.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread