HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » End of Life Issues (Group) » Why burying loved ones in...

Fri Jan 12, 2018, 04:44 PM

Why burying loved ones in unmarked graves could save wildlife

By Alice Klein

Its the circle of life. Natural burials are not only better for the environment, they could also help raise billions of dollars for conservation in theory, almost enough to help preserve every threatened species on land.

Traditional burials contaminate the soil with embalming chemicals and coffin materials, while cremation pollutes the air. They are also expensive, typically costing around $7000.

However, there is a growing interest in natural burials, in which bodies are buried in biodegradable containers. The existing landscape is preserved as much as possible. Loved ones find the site using GPS, or natural markers like trees.

The latest development is conservation burials. These use the money saved from switching to cheaper natural burials to fund conservation. Tracts of land are turned into burial sites that double as refuges for endangered native species.

For example, Ramsey Creek Preserve in South Carolina is a 28-hectare conservation burial site. Bodies are naturally buried in a forest and planted over with endangered native species, like crested coralroot orchids (Hexalectris spicata) and purple-flowered flaxleaf false foxgloves (Agalinis linifolia). The park also provides protection for coyotes, black bears and birds.

Full article at:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2152509-why-burying-loved-ones-in-unmarked-graves-could-save-wildlife/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2016-GLOBAL-hoot

1 replies, 511 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why burying loved ones in unmarked graves could save wildlife (Original post)
Cattledog Jan 2018 OP
RandomAccess Jan 2018 #1

Response to Cattledog (Original post)

Fri Jan 12, 2018, 06:22 PM

1. This is a wonderful idea

I have a somewhat non-conventional attitude about death, dying, burials, etc.

I've always believed that simply burying a body in the ground without all that "stuff" like steel coffins would be far superior. This is even better. And it honors the circle of life, and works with Mother Nature not against her.

I really like this. Wonder how much it costs??

ETA: They tout it as "several thousand dollars" less than usual funerals, but it's still IMO quite expensive. Nevertheless, a lovely idea. I think we'll probably go with cremation and sprinkling the ashes wherever. When my brother died this past August, we were able to get him cremated for just under $700 -- and since he was a Vietnam veteran, his ashes were sent to the nearest national cemetary.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread