HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Martin O'Malley (Group) » "Martin O'Malley Joins Me...

Thu May 5, 2016, 01:59 PM

"Martin O'Malley Joins MetroLab Network as National Advisor"

"The government-research collaboration network has tapped the former Maryland governor to help build out its reach across the U.S."

The group announced the morning of May 5 that O’Malley will become a senior fellow with the group, which will first involve building an advisory committee to help connect the knowledge gleaned from city-university partnerships all around the country. The partnerships are aimed at not only developing technology that can help government work better, but sharing that knowledge so other cities can quickly adopt successful ideas.

O’Malley is a pretty natural fit for the role, said Ben Levine, interim director of the network — after all, one of his crowning achievements as governor and mayor was the development of programs aimed at gathering data and using it to improve the performance of government workers. At the Baltimore level, it was called CitiStat, and its results led to a wave of cities across the country adopting similar ideas.

http://www.govtech.com/Martin-OMalley-Joins-MetroLab-Network-as-National-Advisor.html

5 replies, 933 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Martin O'Malley Joins MetroLab Network as National Advisor" (Original post)
Koinos May 2016 OP
thebeautifulstruggle May 2016 #1
elleng May 2016 #2
Koinos May 2016 #3
elleng May 2016 #4
Koinos May 2016 #5

Response to Koinos (Original post)

Thu May 5, 2016, 02:11 PM

1. O'Malley seemingly had strong liberal convictions

in many areas

I see him as the next person up

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Koinos (Original post)

Thu May 5, 2016, 03:44 PM

2. 'developing technology that can help government work better,

but sharing that knowledge so other cities can quickly adopt successful ideas.

O’Malley is a pretty natural fit for the role, said Ben Levine, interim director of the network — after all, one of his crowning achievements as governor and mayor was the development of programs aimed at gathering data and using it to improve the performance of government workers. At the Baltimore level, it was called CitiStat, and its results led to a wave of cities across the country adopting similar ideas.'

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Thu May 5, 2016, 04:46 PM

3. O'Malley always finds a way to promote the common good.

So far, it looks like he is going to work for the environment and to improve government and university data sharing.

He attended a climate conference with Al Gore recently as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Koinos (Reply #3)

Thu May 5, 2016, 04:49 PM

4. Yes, he does.

He said (half jokingly, I think,) about a government job he'd like, head of a Maryland/Chesapeake environmental department; I don't recall the name.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #4)

Thu May 5, 2016, 04:57 PM

5. If the next president creates a climate change environmental czar,

O'Malley would be the man for the job. I doubt that it will happen, however.

O'Malley was right: It is indeed the biggest challenge facing humanity.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread