HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » The NO information voter

Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:47 AM

The NO information voter

I had an encounter yesterday with someone I've known casually for a while. I asked her if she was voting for Bernie.

She says 'Bernie?'.

I say "Bernie Sanders".

She looks at me blankly. "Never heard of him", she says. (this was yesterday)

I say 'Don't you follow the Presidential primaries?"

She says "Oh, God, I have no time for that garbage."

She then goes on to list all the problems that she has to deal with that are "much more important that bullshit politics".

EVERY ONE of her problems are being addressed by Bernie Sanders.

I tell, you, we're in big trouble if most people are like her. And I'm very afraid they may just be!

5 replies, 934 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The NO information voter (Original post)
Elmer S. E. Dump Nov 2015 OP
HerbChestnut Nov 2015 #1
99th_Monkey Nov 2015 #2
HassleCat Nov 2015 #3
alc Nov 2015 #4
eridani Nov 2015 #5

Response to Elmer S. E. Dump (Original post)

Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:54 AM

1. Those are the types of people that Bernie is trying to bring back into the fold.

Don't give up. You and I and others on this forum pay waayyyy more attention to politics than most people. You did the right thing by throwing his name out there, and sometimes that's all you can do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:54 AM

2. Well, thankfully now she does know about Bernie

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 11, 2015, 12:02 PM

3. My anecdote is similar

I was talking to a friend, a college educated professional, and I said I liked Bernie Sanders. She asked, "Is he the black guy?" She confused Bernie Sanders with Ben Carson. She intends to vote for the Democratic candidate, but she doesn't care who we select.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 11, 2015, 12:52 PM

4. many people's lives have been constantly getting worse for decades

The information they are looking for is their own life getting better.

About 70% of the people vote for the same letter (R or D) every time. Many of those don't care about information - primaries are about personality or electability, not ideas or information. And nothing will change their letter for the general.

Many of the rest just move back and forth between letters: R-D-dont_vote-D-R-D-give_up. No information helps because things never get better (from their perspective at least) no mater who is President or which letter is in charge of Congress. Whoever is not currently in power is the lesser of 2 evils.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:51 AM

5. We all need to remember that most voters are not policy junkies

And many are highly alienated as well. There were nine candidates in my district for Seattle City Council, and one guy told me that he wasn't going to vote in the primary because there were too many candidates to read up on. A 3/3 voter told me in April of 2014 that she threw her transportation initiative ballot away because she didn't want to use a stamp to vote on just one issue.

The thing is that Sanders is appealing to alienated voters with some success, and we need to be part of this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread