HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Groups » Bernie Sanders (Group) » This message was self-del...

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 11:26 AM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (Equinox Moon) on Thu Apr 21, 2016, 08:45 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

13 replies, 1025 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
Equinox Moon Apr 2016 OP
djean111 Apr 2016 #1
LiberalElite Apr 2016 #2
stillwaiting Apr 2016 #3
ViseGrip Apr 2016 #4
Equinox Moon Apr 2016 #6
Svafa Apr 2016 #5
dreamnightwind Apr 2016 #7
Equinox Moon Apr 2016 #11
dreamnightwind Apr 2016 #12
Autumn Apr 2016 #8
farleftlib Apr 2016 #9
Equinox Moon Apr 2016 #10
Autumn Apr 2016 #13

Response to Equinox Moon (Original post)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 11:29 AM

1. I live in Florida.

Debbie Wasserman-DINO and Bill nelson - DINO have completely taken over. Debbie even openly supports GOP cronies over Democrats, and actively discourages liberals and Progressives from running. She pretty much dictates who the DNC will support.
Lost cause, here, and after the Aug. 30 primary, when I will vote for Grayson, I am out.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 11:38 AM

2. what's your state? nt

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 11:39 AM

3. I think this is the way. Progressives have to step up and seize control back from the corporatists.

We have two very different agendas. The corporatists have treated us like shit. And, the good news for them is that there IS another Party they could go to that would still serve their economic and foreign policy preferences if progressives regain control from them. Not so for us.

MAJOR election reform needs to be foremost in mind throughout the nation. Our current system will allow entrenched interests to steal votes easily and progressives will never regain control unless major election reforms are demanded and implemented.

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 11:53 AM

4. Florida has tried this for twelve years. Won't work.

If you go alone....you don't have enough money, Especially in fla. If the new group does well, the party swoops down, wants you to 'become chartered' under them, and they promise money. they only give money for the candidate they choose for you, again, then the group is sad, and it dies. Wash, rinse, repeat. Florida still doesn't count or audit their paper ballots adequately. Did you know this?
It will take someone with the SOAPBOX to tell everyone. I've worked on this for 12 years....and it's getting worse. Only Bernie can fix this, only he is willing.

Response to ViseGrip (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 12:40 PM

6. We are not working separately

We are working as part of the party to bring about progressive agenda.

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 01:06 PM

7. More details please

This is certainly one of the two ways we can respond. Another is to start a separate party.

I am teetering between these two. I have long advocated the path you are working on, taking back the party from within. After this election, and after seeing how much institutional resistance there is to any kind of populist agenda, that path is seeming more and more futile.

So any details or organizational links you can provide which could better inform those of us who are looking at this situation would be welcome. And good luck, you're going to need it but I applaud the efforts you are making.

Response to dreamnightwind (Reply #7)

Response to Equinox Moon (Reply #11)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 02:04 PM

12. Has the party welcomed you or fought your efforts?

I'm quite aware of the institutional obstacles to getting a strong third party, but I have seen little willingness of the party to welcome the left into leadership positions. It sounds like you are working with a group of others, did you go into this with your group backing you or did you just individually attain delegate chair status?

I don't need to know what state you are in, it is relevant though since different locales have very different situations. But by all means keep your privacy if that is important to you, it's not terribly important to me to know where you are doing this.

We have a great group in my area called the Coalition For Grassroots Progress. Sonoma and Marin counties, California, very progressive area. They are essentially Bernie Democrats, but were doing this work before Bernie's candidacy. Their experience (well my representation of it, anyway) has been that the Democratic Party is an obstacle to their efforts, not an asset, and I believe the party has successfully kept them at arm's length.

So many questions...

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 01:11 PM

8. I think that this primary so far has proved that change can not come from within.

The party leaders and entrenched democratic politicians will not allow it. What state are you in?

Response to Autumn (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 01:14 PM

9. I'm sure you are correct

I've seen and heard it too many times. As soon as a real progressive throws
his/her hat in the ring, DWS comes along with a "better" (read sold-out)
candidate and throws money and endorsements at them and they win.

Response to Autumn (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 01:36 PM

10. Wow, so sorry you don't see the changes from this Primary

The movement will for sure die if people with your view grows.

Join the band wagon my friend, futility gets us no where.

Response to Equinox Moon (Reply #10)

Wed Apr 20, 2016, 02:28 PM

13. Highlight the changes from this primary please and let me know where it has caused the party

to adopt any of Bernie platforms. And do keep in mind Hillary deciding she is for something this month when she was against it last month doesn't count.