HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Support Groups » Diabetes Support Group (Group) » Canadian researchers find...

Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:04 PM

Canadian researchers find certain proteins are found to influence BG.

"Screaton, Canada Research Chair, senior scientist at the CHEO Research Institute, and professor at the University of Ottawa, calls the research significant. “We think it is a pretty big deal.”

The research focuses on a protein in beta cells found on islets of the pancreas. After a meal, the beta cells secrete insulin that helps to store food energy for future use. Diabetes develops when the islet beta cells are unable to produce enough insulin. Other research has looked at how to produce more beta cells. But the research done by Screaton’s lab worked on how to make existing beta cells more effective and better at secreting insulin.

The research, done on mice, found that some obese animals were able to compensate for high blood sugar levels by turning up levels of the protein SIK2 in their beta cells. Researchers also found the SIK2 works with another protein, PJA2. Diabetic mice had lost the ability to turn up production of the protein SIK2 and could not compensate for high blood sugar levels."

Wouldn't it be nice to fix a protein or two and be rid of our Type 2? I hope I live long enough to use it myself.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/CHEO+researchers+find+pretty+deal+battle+prevent+Type+diabetes/9637235/story.html

3 replies, 1188 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Canadian researchers find certain proteins are found to influence BG. (Original post)
Nay Mar 2014 OP
Holly_Hobby Mar 2014 #1
TexasTowelie Apr 2014 #2
Nay Apr 2014 #3

Response to Nay (Original post)

Fri Mar 21, 2014, 02:14 PM

1. Absolutely! Thanks for posting n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Nay (Original post)

Wed Apr 2, 2014, 02:44 AM

2. We can at least hope that it helps those with Type 2.

Having type 1 sucks. Since I actually am more concerned about having low blood sugar reactions my BG levels are usually high.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 2, 2014, 09:29 AM

3. I have a friend with Type 1 and she has the same experiences. It does suck.

There are some researchers working on Type 1, though, especially in the field of stem cells to replace the cells that manufacture insulin. So there's some hope for you, too. But like I say elsewhere, a cure has been around the corner for about 50 years.....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread