HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Interfaith Group (Group) » Regina Mustafa: Differing...

Thu Aug 25, 2016, 04:46 AM

Regina Mustafa: Differing beliefs motivate quest for interfaith harmony

Regina Mustafa

Regina Mustafa
Updated 12 hrs ago

Standing at a downtown Rochester streetlight wearing a black T-shirt with the word "Muslim" printed across the front and back was a first for me. I am used to being identified for my religion since I wear a headscarf, but the T-shirt brings public displays of religion to a whole new level.

Right beside me was a friend wearing another black T-shirt also with bold white letters reading "Atheist." Despite my slight nervous trembling and wishing I had brought along a comfort blanket, I knew that together we were sending a message of acceptance.

Yet, such a bold demonstration of interfaith harmony did not always resonate with those who crossed our path.

Casual dismissals of such efforts lie at the core of our continued racial, religious, economic and sexual identity disparities.

http://www.postbulletin.com/opinion/regina-mustafa-differing-beliefs-motivate-quest-for-interfaith-harmony/article_bbbc8e89-f205-54bc-8168-f68a46153584.html

1 replies, 1625 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Regina Mustafa: Differing beliefs motivate quest for interfaith harmony (Original post)
rug Aug 2016 OP
MADem Sep 2016 #1

Response to rug (Original post)

Sat Sep 10, 2016, 10:37 PM

1. That is a rather unusual "wrap" for hijab~! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread