HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Community Help (Forum) » Why are posters allowed t...

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 03:23 PM

Why are posters allowed to spam their own blogs with links back to it?

I'm sure you all know who I am talking about. A thread gets posted with a title that looks like you want to read it. You go to the thread and there is a link. Not to anything about thread title, but a link back to the poster's now website/blog/twittertwat/whatever where, presumably, what was suggested in the OP may be.

I have alerted as spam on this poster and they never seem to get hidden. Does that mean the DU community is okay with being spammed? How is this not against the TOS?

12 replies, 2660 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 03:36 PM

1. I am also not happy with posts having no content other than a link.

There seems to be a school of thought that, if the link is to a Democratic favorable blog, it is OK. I am not agreeing with that thought, especially when it is done often. I will not say more. I don't want to get into META discussion.

I ignore that poster.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Yonnie3 (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 03:58 PM

2. Agreed

Any post I ever see with a link like that and I immediately put that person on Full Ignore.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 04:07 PM

3. I do not clink n links where ...

... there is no info as to where it goes.

Click on this link :

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 04:42 PM

4. Full ignore is effective, but I wish we had better a way to deal with it. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 05:11 PM

5. Blog flogging used to be against the rules. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 06:01 PM

6. It did? The DU homepage has a blogroll.

What I can't stand are posters who hide links to clickbait/content farms (don't get me started on tweets from questionable sources #teampillowforts).

Reply to this post

Response to demmiblue (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 19, 2018, 07:32 PM

7. The rule as against people who only promoted their blog and did not perticipate

in any other way.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 20, 2018, 10:54 AM

8. I think Skinner is okay with it...

I'm pretty sure this was discussed in ATA at some point and the response was it was okay.

I don't have a problem with the links themselves. What *I* have a problem with is posting a thread, or two or five, when there is no intention of DISCUSSING the topic. Just posting the link to get hits and then moving on to the next post. These are supposed to be discussion forums or groups. It's clear to me they have no intention of talking about anything because they never return to the thread.

I ignore them now.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 12:07 PM

9. I was just going to ask about this same thing - as these nothing-burger posts get more plentiful I

would like it if there could be some way they could indicate which ones had no content except for one lousy "link to tweet"

Then I would know to avoid them. As it is I waste so much time - there are just so many of them now and Im not going to bother clicking on a link just to read some 5 word sentence that doesn't say much of anything. I guess I don't understand why people who are in to tweeter just don't go and do their thing over there and stop bothering the rest of us.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 2, 2018, 10:44 PM

10. I don't even notice it anymore

Reply to this post

Response to aikoaiko (Reply #10)

Sun Mar 11, 2018, 01:32 PM

11. All I see is three stupid words - "link to tweet" Theres no not-noticing it! But then I have my

pop up blocker on - if I didnt, my computer would be continually stalled and unuseable -what with all the videos and noises jumping out at me - several at once - I just reached the point where it was either turn off the pop ups , or not use my computer at all.

Which come to think of it might not be such a bad idea.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 19, 2018, 08:37 PM

12. What annoys me is that this person does not engage in anything else except to post

their blog. So just for that you ain't gettin' a click.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread