HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Jeremy Corbyn has just wo...

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 06:13 AM

Jeremy Corbyn has just won the Labour party (UK) leadership by FIFTY-NINE PERCENT.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Chemisse (a host of the 2016 Postmortem forum).

Jeremy is not third way. Blair told everyone he was going to "drive everyone over the edge of a cliff".

I wasn't particularly surprised that Blair told everyone Corbyn was going to drive everyone over the edge of a cliff.

I was slightly spooked, as I had used that exact phrase as part of a barrage of phrases I imagined might be used against Bernie in a rather bluntly satirical post on this site not so long ago. "They're reading my stuff!" I fumed. "Plagiarists!"

Jeremy's a bit of a lefty. Bit of a radical.

He's going off to attend a refugee demonstration now.

Parallels, perhaps?

EDIT:

Closest competitor is on 20%!

Various Labour apparatchiks immediately after result read urging caution in various hinty ways. Talking about "reaching out". (I am getting really sick of that phrase. What does it actually mean? What's the actual result of "reaching out"? What does it DO?)

EDIT II:

BF has just suggested that this might mean the end of "American style politics" in the UK that we've been seeing the last 20 years. Corbyn's much more like a European lefty. He wants to renationalise things.

21 replies, 1085 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jeremy Corbyn has just won the Labour party (UK) leadership by FIFTY-NINE PERCENT. (Original post)
sibelian Sep 2015 OP
TubbersUK Sep 2015 #1
sibelian Sep 2015 #2
LuvNewcastle Sep 2015 #3
sibelian Sep 2015 #6
2banon Sep 2015 #13
okojo Sep 2015 #18
T_i_B Sep 2015 #4
sibelian Sep 2015 #5
T_i_B Sep 2015 #7
sibelian Sep 2015 #8
2banon Sep 2015 #14
okojo Sep 2015 #19
in_cog_ni_to Sep 2015 #9
brooklynite Sep 2015 #10
T_i_B Sep 2015 #17
sabrina 1 Sep 2015 #11
2banon Sep 2015 #15
okojo Sep 2015 #20
artislife Sep 2015 #12
MohRokTah Sep 2015 #16
Chemisse Sep 2015 #21

Response to sibelian (Original post)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 06:50 AM

1. His winning margins are remarkable

While not a huge fan of Corbyn, it's delightful to witness a resounding repudiation of Tony's third way project.

The TV coverage here in the UK is fun, lots of devastated Blairites gritting their teeth and trying to put a brave face on it. According to one commentator, many of them were resigned to a Corbyn win but banking on ousting him sooner rather than later - the size of his winning margin has pretty much put pay to that however

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TubbersUK (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 06:53 AM

2. Yeah, they're going to have to grin and bear it for some time to come.

Grubby control freaks! They had it coming.

Good speech he made, I thought.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the other candidates. They got completely gubbed.

Blimey.

What if he wins the next GE?

We can dream...

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 07:03 AM

3. Good for Mr. Corbyn and good for the UK.

With the way our politics are looking these days, I can see why our allies might choose a different road. I'm hoping Americans will also be ready to choose a different road next year. Everything's in a mess right now, but I think we can bring it together if we'll look beyond the bullshit.
This is the DU member formerly known as LuvNewcastle.

Response to LuvNewcastle (Reply #3)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 07:28 AM

6. I have a tingling feeling, LuvNewcastle...

Yes, I do...

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 09:54 AM

13. This!^^^^^^10000!

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:46 AM

18. It is not good for Labour or the UK..

Corbyn has views of the EU that are more align with the Euro Sceptics of the Conservative Party. He is actually pretty anti EU, which would be a disaster for Britain if they withdraw their EU membership..

Besides my problem with Corbyn EU’s stance or cagey EU stance, he would be killed in a General Election against Cameron and the Conservatives, it will be a replay of Michael Foote’s and the Labour’s beating by Thatcher in 1983..

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 07:15 AM

4. Hopefully "reaching out" means shutting up & listening

and maybe being a lot more humble as well. Accepting that Blairite "triangulation" strategies are no longer working and that Labour needs to offer something much more positive in return for our support.

If you talk to people on both left and right of the political spectrum about Labour a lot of the same gripes keep popping up.

Response to T_i_B (Reply #4)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 07:27 AM

5. Yes, I think they became incredibly manipulative.

I'm from Scotland, where everyone got fed up. I voted Green last time.

Response to sibelian (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 07:33 AM

7. Don't forget taking people for granted

Labour took the Scots for granted and have paid the price. And one major problem for the Blairites is that the disaster in Scotland didn't fit in with any of their pet theories. Indeed at times it seemed like all 3 mainstream candidates had appointed Jim Murphy as their campaign manager!

Response to T_i_B (Reply #7)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 08:02 AM

8. Yes, it just became so insulting.

I've always voted Labour and I was just fizzing. There was this palable contempt for us oozing from every pore! Like we owed them something!

Response to sibelian (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:00 AM

14. Hey there!

I'm not from Scotland, but I'm closely associated with a huge community of traditional musicians from Scotland and that referendum last year was the closest thing to serious activism I'd seen any in this community here in the U.S. engage in.

Very inspiring on the one hand, the end results were disappointing but not for lack of serious principled effort and passion, and the astute criticisms of the BBC messaging was spot on, of course.

Response to T_i_B (Reply #4)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:50 AM

19. I have no problem getting away from Tony Blair’s influence on the Labour Party..

However, as much as Tony Blair comes across as swarmy, He did win UK elections.. Political Parties sometimes rather choose to be right than in power. I think Labour chose the wrong Miliband brother to head the party, but they got to find a way to defeat Cameron, and Corbyn isn’t the way, unless they are trying to do this more to gain ground against the SNP..

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 08:29 AM

9. Congratulations to Mr. Corbyn and the UK!

I hope our voters are as intelligent.

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 08:41 AM

10. Does anyone remember WHY the Blair faction controlled Labour?

Answer: before that, Labour was perceived as the "looney left" and allowed Maragaret Thatcher and John Major to serve as PM for 18 years.

I'll reserve judgement on Corbyn until the next election.

Response to brooklynite (Reply #10)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:30 AM

17. Labour had been moving right for 10 years prior to Blair

Who became Labour leader after the previous leader of the opposition John Smith suffered a heart attack.

As to reserving judgment on Corbyn until the next general election, will he even last that long? He's not exactly popular with other Labour MP's. Even if everyone else is fed up with the other Labour MP's.

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 09:18 AM

11. The neo-liberals and their Wall St policies are under attack EVERYWHERE. The rise of the Left is

sweeping the globe after decades of destruction and war under neocon/liberal policies that stole the resources of every country they invaded, both militarily and economically.

It took far too long to start forcing them out of power, and we're still waiting for the prosecutions to begin and the wealth they have accumulated through corruption and imperialistic policies to be confiscated and returned to those to whom it belongs.

But these things seem to always take more time than they should, historically so it's good to see the beginnings of the end of Neolib/cons and their disastrous reign of war and economic disaster.

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #11)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:03 AM

15. This!^^^^^^100,000,000,000! n/t

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #11)

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:55 AM

20. One has to win elections..

All the sweeping of Neo-Liberals out of power, and protesting against the 1%, is not really going to do much, as long as the party coalition doesn’t win the General Elections in OECD countries. Canada’s election is coming up next month, the US is next year. If you want change, strong coalitions are the answer, not purges..

Much like Ralph Nader played a part in the election of George W. Bush.. even though Al Gore would had been very neo liberal, appeared very disingenuous, but we wouldn’t have 100k-250k dead Iraqi, or over 4k dead US military personnel.

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 09:43 AM

12. Listened to NPR

and when this quote came on the air, I gasped.
“The party is walking eyes shut, arms outstretched over the cliff’s edge to the jagged rocks below.”

The imagery alone was priceless. But I felt that is how many of the rest of the Democratic Party feels about us Sanders supporters.

We tend to think of the rest of the Party as the conquistadors actually driving us over the cliff.

Back to Corbin's win, I feel it reflects the mood of the 99% world wide and hope to see the same disbelief from a Sanders win on the faces of the out of touch media etc.

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:08 AM

16. Jeremy Corbyn is a good reason to support the Tories, IMO. eom

Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:55 AM

21. Locking

Please post this in GD, as it is not related to the US Dem primaries.