HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » The Revenge Of Mitch McCo...

Thu Oct 30, 2014, 05:18 PM

The Revenge Of Mitch McConnell: GOP Senate Will Halt Obama Nominations: What to expect if Dems don't

... get out the vote (i.e. not one Democrat stays home on election day).

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/republican-senate-obama-legacy

If Republicans win control of the Senate next week, as many expect, they will gain a powerful weapon to reshape President Barack Obama's legacy in his final two years: the authority to block his nominations.

Under a Democratic-led Senate, Obama has enjoyed remarkable success in confirming his executive appointees and remaking the federal courts in his image.

~~
~~

That streak could screech to a halt if Republicans win the net six seats needed to take the Senate come January. In that scenario, probable Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA) could prevent any nomination from coming up in committee, and probable Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) could block anyone from receiving a full Senate vote.

"My guess is Obama would have to present nominees that are much much more acceptable to Republicans, or they won't even schedule hearings," Barnett said.
(more)

4 replies, 1448 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Revenge Of Mitch McConnell: GOP Senate Will Halt Obama Nominations: What to expect if Dems don't (Original post)
Bill USA Oct 2014 OP
Wellstone ruled Oct 2014 #1
4dsc Oct 2014 #2
Bill USA Oct 2014 #4
Proud Liberal Dem Oct 2014 #3

Response to Bill USA (Original post)

Thu Oct 30, 2014, 06:22 PM

1. Pretty much as I expect.

McTurtle has a track record of retaliation. Notice the source of this story and they get it right.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 31, 2014, 07:34 AM

2. But it would backfire on them in 2016

not like that matters to these rethugs.

Reply to this post

Response to 4dsc (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 31, 2014, 04:07 PM

4. that's what I figure too.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 31, 2014, 08:33 AM

3. Revenge

Is, of course, a purely legitimate reason to run for/be elected to public office.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread