HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Isaac Saul: I Wrote That...

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:05 PM

Isaac Saul: I Wrote That I Despised Hillary Clinton. Today, I Want To Publicly Take It Back.

Last edited Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:07 PM - Edit history (1)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/12220124

When this election began, I was like millions of millennial men: a “Bernie bro” rooting hard for Sen. Sanders.

Watching the candidate of my dreams get steam late and lose in the primary wasn’t so different from watching my favorite football team not have enough energy to complete a fourth quarter rally. Hopeful, exciting, but ultimately deflating and disappointing.

When Hillary Clinton became the presumptive Democratic nominee, I was distraught. Months before I had written about her on Huffington Post, explaining that I despised her not for her gender — as some of her supporters accused — but for her hawkishness, her center-left policies, her husband’s crime bill that incarcerated so many people of color, her support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and her inability to get progressive on climate change policy.

I’ve spent almost every waking hour of every day following this election, reading about Hillary, Donald Trump, both parties’ platforms, and the under-qualified Libertarian and Green Party candidates running. During these months of obsessing over my choice, I’ve watched my position slowly shift. I’ve felt myself start advocating for Hillary more than advocating a vote against Trump, culminating in last night’s debate when she finally, totally, completely won me over.

In an election that features one of the most well-documented liars and scam artist businessmen to ever run for public office, much of the attention has been on him — how we can’t put him in office, give him keys to a nuclear warhead, trust him in the most powerful position in the world. Some of it has been more positive: how he’d turn the system on its head, be a Washington outsider, completely rewrite the script. While it’s easy to make the case for voting against Trump, it occurred to me during the debate last night how much we’ve taken Clinton for granted.
...When November rolls around, you’ll have my vote.

And you’ll get it enthusiastically.

More

22 replies, 3308 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Isaac Saul: I Wrote That I Despised Hillary Clinton. Today, I Want To Publicly Take It Back. (Original post)
phallon Sep 2016 OP
MFM008 Sep 2016 #1
Orsino Sep 2016 #2
still_one Sep 2016 #4
Orsino Sep 2016 #7
still_one Sep 2016 #10
Hortensis Sep 2016 #11
still_one Sep 2016 #13
Hortensis Sep 2016 #14
Rose Siding Sep 2016 #20
pnwmom Sep 2016 #3
phallon Sep 2016 #5
Buzz cook Sep 2016 #6
LiberalFighter Sep 2016 #18
phallon Sep 2016 #21
frazzled Sep 2016 #8
Mamajami Sep 2016 #9
phallon Sep 2016 #12
charlyvi Sep 2016 #15
LAS14 Sep 2016 #16
NBachers Sep 2016 #17
mountain grammy Sep 2016 #19
phallon Sep 2016 #22

Response to phallon (Original post)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:13 PM

1. Good read saw this on HuffPo

Earlier.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:16 PM

2. There's no information here that wasn't widely available during all the author's despIsing.

Which the author doesn't explain, for reasons we can guess at.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:26 PM

4. At this point, and with what's at stake that will direct the future of the country for

decades to come through the Supreme Court, I care less for someone's motivation on their change of heart, than the fact that they want to stop a Trump presidency from becoming a reality

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #4)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:54 PM

7. Yeah, it's cool and all...

...but until what I consider a serious faceplant is explained, I don't know how seriously to take anything this author writes in the future.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #7)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:06 PM

10. understood

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #10)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:16 PM

11. What matters will happen November 8.

I just hope he's being read by others like him. Others who refused to look honestly at all their options before BUT are now coming to it.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #11)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:21 PM

13. That is exactly where I am coming from Hortensis, thanks

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #13)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:34 PM

14. Of course. At this point the only thing that counts.

40 days to election

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 03:17 PM

20. I think taking her good works for granted explains it well

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:19 PM

3. That's a great piece. Thanks for posting.

But you need to post just an excerpt, due to copyright laws. DU has gotten into trouble for that in the past.

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #3)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:38 PM

5. Oh. Thanks for the info. I want to always respect copyright.

I thought citing author and URL was sufficient. Good to know.

Reply to this post

Response to phallon (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 12:53 PM

6. Depends on the author and source

If an author would be satisfied with proper attribution they usually mention it. The Fair Use doctrine is more restrictive and allows only a small portion of a work to be published, though that also would have to have proper attribution.

Reply to this post

Response to phallon (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 02:41 PM

18. Sometimes it is better to use excerpts anyways.

Then you can focus on parts that may have the most impact.

I do that on a page I manage. Even more specifically I also do a ADMIN comment about it or other parts. Sometimes I will do a whole paragraph or paragraphs and sometimes I will use only a part of a paragraph. And of course I provide a link.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #18)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 04:14 PM

21. That is a nice way to stress the point.

I've enjoyed that kind of style. It's clean and easy to read and if you want context you can click on article.

I was just worried I'd be seen as editing. I'll try the style as this was a long article and I guess, in retrospect, I did edit by ... the conclusive sentence.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:04 PM

8. The question is

who the heck is Isaac Saul (yeah, I looked it up: he has a BA from the University of Pittsburgh in nonfiction writing). I guess I'm glad if he represents the changed views of some millennials. But he could have obtained any of this information over the past 2 years easily, and tempered his "hatred" earlier, even if he didn't support her. A lot of myths and foul charges were leveled against her in the primary that convinced a lot of people she was evil incarnate. I assume he spread some of those. It's hard to take them back ... they kind of eke out into the ether and become "fact."

A lot of damage was done during the primaries.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:06 PM

9. Nice piece. But nothing she did, in my opinion, is unforgivable. If making mistakes is

unforgivable then we should erase the word from our lexicon.

Reply to this post

Response to Mamajami (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:18 PM

12. This is representative of media/conservative agenda that

has been an ongoing disinformation campaign (example: legitimizing the Tea Party) and school/church/homeschool sewing distrust in Social Security, AHA, gay rights, voting rights, people of color, etc. for thirty years intensifying after 1992 and becoming insane after 2008.

Now the younger millennials only know that "everything is rigged, there will be no Social Security, etc. and infrastructure is a scam.

It's the new 21st century prejudice if your young white independent, for the most part anyway.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:53 PM

15. Goodness! Could HAHA Goodman be next?

Just kidding.........

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 01:58 PM

16. If you want to feel good, it's worth reading the whole thing.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 02:34 PM

17. The shroud of poison that was wrapped around Hillary by the Republicans & the media

for the last 24 years, is finally being lifted.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 02:59 PM

19. I've known all of this for years..

and I still backed Obama in 2008 and Sanders in 2016. It's never been a hatred of Hillary. When she was First Lady, I wished she was president. It wasn't so much about her (though I convinced myself it was,) but more about the vast right wing conspiracy, that I honestly believe exists, and their massive and successful efforts to take her down. The Clintons are the red meat that keeps these people funded. I think, had she won the nomination in 2008, John McCain would have been elected.
Now we have Trump, who my husband keeps telling me can't get elected. I only wish I had his faith in American voters.

Reply to this post

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #19)

Wed Sep 28, 2016, 04:18 PM

22. I disagree on 2008. A bully needs to be stood up to. HRC is not Bill.

I doubt Palin/McCain could have beat HRC. In fact, after 8 years of Bush, anyone winning the Democratic nomination in 2008 would have won I believe.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread