HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Trump, Pence, Indies & un...

Thu Jul 21, 2016, 02:16 PM

Trump, Pence, Indies & undecideds...

Trump is looking to bring over undecideds, Indies and even disgruntled Dems. He's made a play for Bernie voters many times. My question is, why pick someone so far right? Pence is a right wing evangelical. His record clearly reflects this. He's also a hawk.

With Trump saying he will delegate so much responsibility to Pence, his record should be concerning to moderates but more importantly Dems/Liberals that dislike Hillary. I don't understand the thought process on this.

I could see people saying VP's aren't that important, but in this case Trump is making him VERY important. That's worrisome to me.

3 replies, 508 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump, Pence, Indies & undecideds... (Original post)
one_voice Jul 2016 OP
CrowCityDem Jul 2016 #1
jcgoldie Jul 2016 #3
NewJeffCT Jul 2016 #2

Response to one_voice (Original post)

Thu Jul 21, 2016, 02:20 PM

1. He had to sure up his base first. He fractured his party. No time to worry about Indies.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CrowCityDem (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 21, 2016, 02:22 PM

3. Exactly

At the time he was facing a possible convention floor fight. It must have worked because they all boo'd Cruz I don't think that happens a week ago.

Reply to this post

Response to one_voice (Original post)

Thu Jul 21, 2016, 02:21 PM

2. He selected Pence

so he could secure the evangelical vote and money. The evangelicals might have supported Trump over Clinton, but not very enthusiastically. With Pence on board, he might get a bit better evangelical turnout and some of their money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread