HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » White House Won't Punish ...

Wed Jul 20, 2016, 07:50 AM

White House Won't Punish JuliŠn Castro

U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development JuliŠn Castro looks to be off the hook with the White House after the U.S. Office of Special Counsel found that Castro violated federal law.

At issue is the Hatch Act, a 1939 law that prohibits some of the political activities of federal employees, and a Katie Couric interview. In an April interview, Castro answered questions from the journalist of a political nature. The problem, according to the Office of Special Counsel, is that Castro gave the interview in his "official capacity" as a Cabinet member.

"I saw the statement from Secretary Castro, who acknowledged the inadvertent error," said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, when asked if a punishment was in store. "And he indicated that he would participate in some additional training and get an additional briefing to make sure that when heís doing interviews in the future that he understands what the Hatch Act requires."

"I think to his credit, Secretary Castro acknowledged the mistake that he made," Earnest added. "He owned up to it, and heís taken the necessary steps to prevent it from happening again. I think thatís the expectation that people have when you make a mistake, particularly in a situation like this."

Read more: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/19/white-house-wont-punish-julian-castro/

1 replies, 671 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House Won't Punish JuliŠn Castro (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 2016 OP
Gothmog Jul 2016 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Jul 20, 2016, 08:16 AM

1. Castro does not appear to be the nominee

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread