HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » He's going to Philly to f...

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:06 AM

He's going to Philly to fight for justice but he didn't say he's fighting for the nomination

I think he wants to influence the Party's platform but it doesn't sound like he thinks he can win the nomination.

16 replies, 960 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply He's going to Philly to fight for justice but he didn't say he's fighting for the nomination (Original post)
hill2016 Jun 2016 OP
NanceGreggs Jun 2016 #1
lancer78 Jun 2016 #2
bettyellen Jun 2016 #3
DesertRat Jun 2016 #4
TomCADem Jun 2016 #5
hill2016 Jun 2016 #6
Jitter65 Jun 2016 #7
HarmonyRockets Jun 2016 #8
PepperHarlan Jun 2016 #9
lunamagica Jun 2016 #10
mylye2222 Jun 2016 #11
Ken Burch Jun 2016 #12
herding cats Jun 2016 #13
realmirage Jun 2016 #14
larkrake Jun 2016 #15
Maru Kitteh Jun 2016 #16

Response to hill2016 (Original post)

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:17 AM

1. I think it FINALLY sunk in tonight ...

... that the nomination is lost - by whatever means he thought he still had a chance to win it.

His only path left (in his mind) was flipping the SDs based on a BIG California win - and it's not happening.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:22 AM

2. He is trying

to get HRC more committed to progressive values his supporters want. It would be a good move for her.

Instead of promising third-way values that will probably never happen with the current congressional makeup, tell people you will fight like hell for progressive values that even though they won't happen either, at least people will see your honesty and passion.

Its late, I know I am not making much sense in what I am trying to say.

Reply to this post

Response to lancer78 (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:24 AM

3. I think you're right and it's good in some ways and shitty in others

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:25 AM

4. I think you're right. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:25 AM

5. He Said He Was Fight for Votes and Delegates...

...and a little justice would not hurt, but he definitely said he would be fighting for votes and delegates through DC.

Reply to this post

Response to TomCADem (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:30 AM

6. yeah

but that could be for greater influence on the platform/convention. As much leverage as possible

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:31 AM

7. No, he is going to Philly just to fight. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Jitter65 (Reply #7)

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:32 AM

8. That's not what he said in tonight's speech.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:33 AM

9. Whatever he wants to do

But Cornel West having anything to do with the platform or a speaking role at the convention is a non starter. Lest we forget who is still running the show and I'm sure he has not forgotten or forgiven West's slurs.

Outside of that I hope Bernie and his supporters are made to feel welcomed and a part of the process. Outside of West, whatever they want.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:34 AM

10. He should have been more clear. Seems many of hos supporters too it as him saying

he has a path to the nomination

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:36 AM

11. He is doing the right thing.

Not stopping until the very end.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 01:43 AM

12. That's my interpretation

And there's nothing wrong with him doing that.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 02:07 AM

13. I agree.

Seriously, what's wrong with people here? No one expected him to concede tonight. Really, not a single person in the know did. That's not how you do things. Ever!

It's bad form to crap on your supporters like that. Not to mention really stupid if you expect them to respect you and get behind your guidance in the future.

Let's give Bernie some room to work things out, and see how things shake out, ok?

His supporters are hurting tonight, it's all fresh and raw to a lot of them. Not everyone fully understood the dynamics before tonight. A little respect would go a long way.

i realize respect has zero to do the couple of handfuls of people here on both sides, who seem to want to make it personal and be mean to each other. Frankly, all of you make DU suck when you act like that. You folks need to stop your crap. You're just making yourselves look either petty or foolish at this point.

It's done. My congratulations or condolences, depending on your candidate. If you're a decent person, I can respect your joy, or sorrow with empathy. I've been in both of your shoes before. I get it. Really, I do.

If your one of those couple of handfuls on both sides who want to keep fighting, it's time for you to stop being jerks and focus on November. Most of the rest of us are ready to move on and work on defeating Trump.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 02:54 AM

14. Anyone really paying attention knows BS has been

fighting only to influence the platform, not win with SDs. How can anyone think Sanders is dumb enough to think he could use SDs to override the people? This is old style politics and negotiation. You say all kinds of wild shit to increase your leverage in the negotiations, then you make nice when it's finally all over and you've gotten as much as you can. He just wants to leave his mark on the Party. The speech he gave tonight reflects that strategy. He didn't attack Hillary. He focused on what he wants for the country and the party. The fight at the convention he mentioned is over the platform. Not the nomination. Anyone who would think Sanders really wants to use SDs to override the will of the people must think Sanders is insane. He isn't. He's just trying to get leverage.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 03:26 AM

15. thats right, lobbyist SGs should be banned

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 8, 2016, 03:39 AM

16. I did notice that as well.

No talk last night of super delegates, etc.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread