HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » Is Hillary competent?

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:18 AM

Is Hillary competent?

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the 2016 Postmortem forum).

No. I had a post hidden and some of the jury said I shouldn't have classed Hillary with incompetent people.

I have asked before, what has she accomplished, and all I hear is crickets and general declarations. So I am asking once more. Helping Wall Street and Big Oil snd polluters does not count. Accomplishing something Democratic does.

As Secretary of State, she destroyed the quality of life of millions of people in Libya. She degraded the lives of many in Haiti.

Before that she voted for the Iraq war, which resulted in immense damage to many people.

She failed to get healthcare through in Bill's administration.

She was complicit in that job sucking NAFTA and banking deregulation. They're always saying they're a partnership, right. I take her at her word.

So speak up, folks who support her, what has she actually accomplished?

30 replies, 2026 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is Hillary competent? (Original post)
greymouse Apr 2016 OP
sufrommich Apr 2016 #1
onehandle Apr 2016 #22
leftofcool Apr 2016 #2
JaneyVee Apr 2016 #3
PyaarRevolution Apr 2016 #13
JaneyVee Apr 2016 #16
uponit7771 Apr 2016 #4
cannabis_flower Apr 2016 #5
NCTraveler Apr 2016 #6
sufrommich Apr 2016 #8
Bobbie Jo Apr 2016 #10
PyaarRevolution Apr 2016 #15
NCTraveler Apr 2016 #19
deathrind Apr 2016 #7
PyaarRevolution Apr 2016 #9
LexVegas Apr 2016 #11
Arkansas Granny Apr 2016 #12
JaneyVee Apr 2016 #14
La Lioness Priyanka Apr 2016 #17
jehop61 Apr 2016 #18
SidDithers Apr 2016 #20
Sunlei Apr 2016 #21
Fumesucker Apr 2016 #23
Orsino Apr 2016 #24
JTFrog Apr 2016 #25
beachbum bob Apr 2016 #26
Dems to Win Apr 2016 #27
EndElectoral Apr 2016 #28
pdsimdars Apr 2016 #29
Omaha Steve Apr 2016 #30

Response to greymouse (Original post)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:20 AM

1. You got a hide for claiming she "got picked" for her female parts.

We can see your transparency page, you know?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sufrommich (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:46 AM

22. Seriously.

Skinner needs to put the kibosh on divisive BS OPs like this.

Aimed at either candidate.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:22 AM

2. If you are worried about Hillary's competency go vote for someone else.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:23 AM

3. What has she accomplished?

Besides climbing the ladder from being a little girl in a rural town to becoming the first woman POTUS?

What have you accomplished?

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:32 AM

13. I'm not interested in seeing a Hollywood movie.

Talk about her qualifications. A feel-good story doesn't resonate with me, I'm not like the people Kent Brockman describes when he talks about human interest stories. "Human interest stories, they warm the heart and cloud the mind".
It's great getting to have a woman POTUS but I'd rather have Elizabeth Warren or Cynthia McKinney.

Also, don't act like Bernie breaking the Christian barrier if he becomes President wouldn't be significant. I believe it's only a matter of time a woman becomes President but I don't know about that with a non-Christian, man OR woman. Right now I have that little hope that someone who's a Daoist, Hindu, Confuscian or Muslim could become President any time soon.

Response to PyaarRevolution (Reply #13)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:36 AM

16. What does it matter? Any person is allowed throw their hat into the ring.

Its about ideas and votes. She seems to be winning them.

4. 2.9 million more votes vs Sanders says yes.

5. Don't forget

Honduras!

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:24 AM

6. Lets show people why your post was hidden.

greymouse This message was hidden by Jury decision. Hide

21. Sarah Palin, Fiorina, and Hillary

all picked because they have female parts. Not a competent person in the bunch.

Where have you gone, Ann Richards, Eleanor Roosevelt, and left us with the bottom of the barrel?

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:26 AM

8. Did you see the one about Trump ? Yikes.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:28 AM

10. It was a slam dunk

AUTOMATED MESSAGE: Results of your Jury Service
On Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:06 AM an alert was sent on the following post:

Sarah Palin, Fiorina, and Hillary
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=7786835

REASON FOR ALERT

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

ALERTER'S COMMENTS

Read the post.

JURY RESULTS

You served on a randomly-selected Jury of DU members which reviewed this post. The review was completed at Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:08 AM, and the Jury voted 7-0 to HIDE IT.

Juror #1 voted to HIDE IT
Explanation: No explanation given
Juror #2 voted to HIDE IT
Explanation: Enough of Fox News criticism here on DU. I am not an HRC defender, but to say she isn't competent is a baseless smear. If somebody said the same thing about Sanders on here, I can ASSURE you that it would be hidden immediately.
Juror #3 voted to HIDE IT
Juror #4 voted to HIDE IT
Explanation: Sick of this utter nonsense.
Juror #5 voted to HIDE IT
Juror #6 voted to HIDE IT
Explanation: Poster - You really compared the former Secretary of State to those two vapid little snots? Really? You shouldn't be allowed to be at DU anymore.
Juror #7 voted to HIDE IT

Thank you very much for participating in our Jury system, and we hope you will be able to participate again in the future.

Let's put it all out there.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:33 AM

15. I wish Eleanor was alive.

She'd have some things to say about some of these people in politics and they wouldn't be terribly nice.

Response to PyaarRevolution (Reply #15)

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:39 AM

19. It would be a hoot.

I wish I could remember the name. I watched an excellent piece on the Roosevelt's a couple of weeks ago. They spent a lot of time on Eleanor.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:25 AM

7. It depends.

On the subject matter...

It does appear that the one common denominator that I have seen repeated is the history making aspect of her candidacy. Her position on issues is not a clear picture except on one and that position is contrary to the platform I have seen articulated by the Democratic Party since being able to vote.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:26 AM

9. The way she behaves on Foreign Policy.

At least in regards to nations except Europe, makes me question her thought process. I truly think she is acting out of reflex in these circumstances instead of logic if her end goal is the welfare of the American people. Acting out of her hawklike nature as a reflex has done us a lot of damage and she needs to stop before she gets us into war with Iran.
I don't mind her being a hawk on North Korea but on Russia or Iran? No, absolutely not! North Korea is crazy and you can't deal with crazy. As far as China stands she should put a LOT more resources in cyberwarfare and defense because China is clearly leading us by the tail on this issue. They're laughing at us right now, I guarantee you.
Keeping the South China Sea free with a joint taskforce of a Korean/American military.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:29 AM

11. You got the hide for some sexist shit. nt

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:31 AM

12. Here are a few of her accomplishments, just to get you started:

Laws with Clintonís name

Clinton was first elected as a senator from New York in 2000 and re-elected in 2006. She resigned to become secretary of state, so her Senate tenure was from January 2001 to January 2009.

Bushís spokesman sent us a list of three bills Clinton sponsored hat became law. These laws were uncontroversial matters that passed by unanimous consent in the Senate and voice vote in the House and then were signed by President George W. Bush:S. 1241: A bill to establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site in the State of New York. Bush signed the bill Dec. 3, 2004.

S. 3613: A bill to name a post office the "Major George Quamo Post Office Building." Bush signed the bill Oct. 6, 2006.

S. 3145: A bill to designate a highway in New York as the Timothy J. Russert highway. Bush signed the bill July 23, 2008.

But there are other ways that Senators can influence legislation even if they donít end up as the sponsor of the final version:

Co-sponsored bills: There were 74 bills that became law that Clinton co-sponsored. For example, she was one of 54 cosponsors on the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, signed in January 2009 by President Barack Obama. (The fact that she co-sponsored these bills doesnít tell us much about her role in their passage, but Bush referred to bills that "she has her name" on, so itís worth noting those she co-sponsored.)

She co-sponsored one version but another version passed: For example, she co-sponsored S.1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in January 2009 while the version that passed was H.R. 1.

Sponsored amendments: She put forward amendments that influenced laws sponsored by others. She sponsored three amendments on a bill for security and disaster funding. The amendments passed in 2007 and the bill passed in 2008.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jun/23/jeb-bush/did-hillary-clinton-have-her-name-only-three-laws-/

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:33 AM

14. Next you'll complain Berniebros are a myth.

Ironically, of course.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:37 AM

17. if you are concerned that she couldn't fix healthcare as the first lady

why are you not concerned that with decades in the senate, Bernie couldn't fix healthcare?

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:39 AM

18. It's just amazing

how you've given her so much power. You attribute so many world problems to her while she was First Lady, SOS and candidate.

How did she become responsible for pollution? Explain

How did she destroy Libya. That was a UN operation. I seem to remember Kidaffi was starting genocide.

Degraded lives in Haiti? Though that was a massive earthquake.

Voted for Iraq War? So did most of Congress after Bush lied to them and after we suffered a massive attack.

Failed on. Healthcare? Thought the republicans did that in, and she was an unelected, unpaid volunteer trying to help her spouse.

NAFTA was her husband's program. Once again, she was First Lady

So I'm speaking up and saying your arguments are ridiculous. That is all

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:44 AM

20. 1664 to 1371...nt

Sid

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:46 AM

21. Yes, Mrs. Clinton is competent. Can you read about her? even the wiki has information about healthc

even the wiki has information about the 93!! Clinton health care plan and why it didn't 'pass' 20 years ago. You whine like Clinton is some tyrant who acts alone.

Here's the link to the basic wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton

Then I suggest you read how our government works and the entire history of Libya and Haiti.

Perhaps you'd be happier with Republican Trump but he was friends with Gaddafi the dead dictator of Libya and even let him vacation on Trumps New York Property.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 11:50 AM

23. Hillary sponsored a bill to make flag burning illegal

If it had passed that would have been a great leap forward for freedom in a time of attacks from many quarters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Protection_Act_of_2005

The Flag Protection Act of 2005 was a proposed United States federal law introduced by Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Robert Bennett. The law would have outlawed flag burning, and called for a punishment of one year in jail and a fine of $100,000

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 12:03 PM

24. If she had zero accomplishments...

...her extremely successful '08 campaign means something. That she has a nigh-insurmountable lead this time around means more.

Millions of Democrats are choosing her over the only remaining competition. Those voters believe she'll do the job. Other than her being over 35 and natural born, nothing is necessary.

I would disagree with the way she's performed duties in the past, but I may be in the minority. Most of the questions we would ask either of the Republican presidents about their competency are inapplicable to Clinton.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 12:06 PM

25. This is some pretty poor trolling. n/t

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 12:16 PM

26. She not only survived what...10hrs of grilling by

The house batshit crazy committee on Benghazi but made them look incompetent... I highly doubt sanders could survive 2 hrs of grilling....Hillary has warded off 3 decades of right-wing witch hunts...what has accomplished?.... Why she will be our first female president ..

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 12:22 PM

27. She would have refrained from giving $20mill in speeches if she was competent

Hillary shot the fat middle finger to Occupy Wall Street every time she went through the bank doors.

Now she doesn't understand why young people and people in financial despair don''t want to vote for her. (My Dad, when I asked him why he won't support Hillary, simply said "$250,000 speeches."

It'd be funny, if she wasn't the likely Democratic nominee, supported by almost all Democratic leaders.

She should have had the political smarts to know that these speeches would be toxic in any future campaign. The fact she didn't is one more example of her poor judgement.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 12:25 PM

28. What has she accomplished? Why, she's bamboozled millions to vote for her despite her record.

If that's not an accomplishment, what is?

She's managed to collect hundreds of thousand of dollars from fat cats for what are called speeches, and yet doesn't owe them anything.

If that's not an accomplishment, what is?

She's managed to convince low informations voters that she's the "adult" and anything proposed to improve their lives is just a "pie in the sky unreality."

If that's not an accomplishment what is?

To me it's not what she has accomplished. My God what accomplishments. To me the question to be asked is can we survive her accomplishments?

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 01:59 PM

29. I liked what Lt. General Flynn said. He was the former head of the D.I.A. which is the

defense department equivalent of the CIA.

After Obama had said, in his interview with Chris Wallace, that Hillary was a bit careless with the emails. Lt. General Flynn said that previously Obama had said Hillary was a bit careless with Libya. He said she was careless with her classified government email, careless with Libya, careless with the Russian reset, and careless with the Pivot to the Pacific. This shows a pattern of poor judgement.

That sums it up for me . . . poor judgement.

Thu Apr 28, 2016, 02:29 PM

30. Locking after a review by forum hosts

As DM