HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » You Know What I'm Sick An...

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:16 AM

You Know What I'm Sick And Tired Of?

I am sick and tired of politicians taking all that money from the rich and powerful, corporations, and their lobbyists.......

And telling me it doesn't influence them.

Actually beyond sick and tired.

22 replies, 1956 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply You Know What I'm Sick And Tired Of? (Original post)
Yallow Apr 2016 OP
GreenPartyVoter Apr 2016 #1
CrispyQ Apr 2016 #2
Yallow Apr 2016 #5
CrispyQ Apr 2016 #7
onecaliberal Apr 2016 #3
Yallow Apr 2016 #4
GeorgiaPeanuts Apr 2016 #6
think Apr 2016 #8
CrispyQ Apr 2016 #9
Arneoker Apr 2016 #10
Yallow Apr 2016 #12
Arneoker Apr 2016 #21
Henhouse Apr 2016 #22
rhett o rick Apr 2016 #11
Nye Bevan Apr 2016 #13
GeorgiaPeanuts Apr 2016 #15
Nye Bevan Apr 2016 #16
GeorgiaPeanuts Apr 2016 #17
Nye Bevan Apr 2016 #18
Yallow Apr 2016 #20
IADEMO2004 Apr 2016 #14
Arneoker Apr 2016 #19

Response to Yallow (Original post)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:21 AM

1. Hear, hear! I am also tired of the short-sighted "the bottom line is the bottom line" approach to

policy making. The world is going to hell because of catastrophic climate change, pollution, and slave wage labor (to name but a few) all for the love of money.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:21 AM

2. I borrowed $1000 from a family member once

& it changed the relationship until I paid it back. And let me tell you, paying it back became a priority. Actually, it changed the relationship forever, because I never forgot how the person behaved when they thought they had leverage on me.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:23 AM

5. Suzie Orman Says.....

Never loan money to a family member.

Give it to them if they need it.

If they pay it back great, if they don't you helped them out, which is also great.

Reply to this post

Response to Yallow (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:26 AM

7. Good advice. --nt

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:22 AM

3. concur! Eom

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:22 AM

4. They Think We're Stupid

Obviously.

All them people I saw at Key Arena, and Safeco Field, they're not stupid.....

That's why they are standing up and saying enough?

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:24 AM

6. Agreed, K&R...

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:28 AM

8. Bingo...

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:30 AM

9. Also, hope & change did not turn out to be so much change.

Every election our eyes are opened a little more & this may be the election where some will not be able to un-see the truth: Both parties are taking the scenery down. Both parties have something in place to thwart the will of the people if a grassroots candidate gets a little to uppity.

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” ~Frank Zappa

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:35 AM

10. Well maybe you are stupid

If you think that campaign contributions are the be all and end all. Not that they count for nothing, they obviously do. It is just one of many ways that the playing field is tilted in favor of the rich and powerful. (Surprisingly, quite a number of people have noticed this since a long time ago.) But they don't automatically change a politician's direction. That politician also has to get votes and support for their policies from those who aren't rich. These special interests like to spread their contributions around to at least get access, even if some who benefit oppose them on most of their goals. Politicians push for stuff that goes against the interests of their big contributors al of the time.

Bottom line, both Hillary and Bernie support serious policies to deal with climate change. I wish Hillary were a little less compromised from campaign contributions (although the real story hardly seems to fit the fevered hype). But I also wish Bernie were lot more skilled in playing the high-level game that needs to be played to get any kind of actual results. (Results are my bottom line.) It is that second consideration that has a lot to do with my decision to support Hillary for the nomination, out of choices of flawed candidates that are available.

Reply to this post

Response to Arneoker (Reply #10)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:50 AM

12. I Look At The Same Evidence

And draw an entirely different conclusion.

Also, it is not the candidate as much as the millions they have helping them make change.

Just ask Roosevelt......

Reply to this post

Response to Yallow (Reply #12)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:50 PM

21. This is a presidential campaign

We are discussing who should be President. Those millions who really care can help to make change no matter who is elected. They don't need their favorite savior to get the crown.

So will Hillary be a plus on the issue of climate change, and on so many other issues, as opposed to Trumpo or Ted? I believe that looking at her entire record shows that likelihood to be overwhelming, even if she is not perfect. (BTW, Roosevelt was hardly perfect, and was quite a compromiser.) Is she a better bet than Bernie? I respect a lot of those who say no (although I can't respect all of them), but I believe the answer is yes, as she is likely to pursue the better strategy.

But don't forget, those millions will be needed, whether it is Bernie, Hillary, Trumpo or Ted. That is, the ones who care and will do something about what they say they care about.

Reply to this post

Response to Arneoker (Reply #21)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 01:06 PM

22. Great post Arneoker....

Happy to see another long time member [12 years for you, 14 years for me] with a low post count.

I've been a lurker for over a decade but some of the posts, in the last few months, have made me want to spit fire.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:42 AM

11. Tired of them pretending that Quid Pro Quo isn't a significant factor in politics.

There are over 11,000 lobbyists in Wash the DC and last year they spent (read graft) over $3 billion dollars. How many of them are on the side of the People? How many on the side of the Clinton Class?

I am tired of the denials regarding conspiracies. Politics is full of conspiracies. Karl Rove's job is to conspire and the big Think Tanks are really Conspiracy Tanks. How much of this conspiring is for the good of the 99% ? How much is for the good of the Clinton Class.

I am tired of the hypocrisy of so-called Democrats that stood side by side with the Left fighting the Corp-Media and their bias for the Ruling Class, only to embrace those same institutions now that their candidate is running.

I am tired of the hypocrisy of so-called Democrats that stood side by side with the Left fighting Big Money corruption via Citizens United only now to embrace it when it benefits their candidate.

I am tired of those pretending that support of a Clinton Aristocracy won't harm those struggling in the lower classes. How high do the numbers in poverty have to climb before they see beyond their authoritarian adulation.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 11:54 AM

13. It's illegal for corporations to contribute money to candidates in Federal elections.

So I'm not sure why you mention "corporations" in your OP.

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #13)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:06 PM

15. Not illegal for them to donate to SuperPacs, Dark Money Groups, and Clinton Foundations...

Nice deflection attempt though, Almost as good as your queen.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgiaPeanuts (Reply #15)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:08 PM

16. OK, but the OP talked about "politicians" "taking money" from corporations,

which is illegal.

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #16)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:10 PM

17. Why is it all the Bernie supporters know what we are talking about when we say that...

But Hillarians play dumb?

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgiaPeanuts (Reply #17)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:15 PM

18. Because they genuinely believe that "large corporations contribute millions to Hillary",

even though they don't?

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #18)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:36 PM

20. I Didn't Say That

Large corporations hire an army of people to buy "influence" in a thousand different ways. They don't directly contribute to campaigns, that would be illegal.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/04/how-corporate-lobbyists-conquered-american-democracy/390822/

One candidate wants to end this CORRUPTION, and one doesn't.

Which one is yours?

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:05 PM

14. Jesse M. Unruh quotes

On campaign contributions – "Money is the mother's milk of politics." 1966[4]

On lobbyists – "If you can't eat their food, drink their booze, screw their women, take their money and then vote against them you've got no business being up here."[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_M._Unruh

California Hard Ass Dem from the 60's

Reply to this post

Response to IADEMO2004 (Reply #14)

Sat Apr 2, 2016, 12:20 PM

19. Exactly!

Unruh said it much better than I just did.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread