HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Buddhism (Group) » Reincarnation in Christia...

Fri May 10, 2019, 01:06 PM

Reincarnation in Christianity

A footnote from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda:

"The early Christian church accepted the doctrine of reincarnation, which was expounded by the Gnostics and by numerous church fathers, including Clement of Alexandria, the celebrated Origen (both 3rd century), and St. Jerome (5th century). The doctrine was first declared a heresy in A.D. 553 by the second council of Constantinople. At that time many Christians thought the doctrine of reincarnation afforded man too ample a stage of time and space to encourage him to strive for immediate salvation. But truths suppressed lead disconcertingly to a host of errors. The millions have not utilized their "one lifetime" to seek God, but to enjoy this world- so uniquely won, and so shortly to be forever lost! The truth is that man reincarnates on earth until he has consciously regained his status as a son of God."

By the way, Autobiography of a Yogi is a sublime work of art. I highly recommend it.

2 replies, 418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Reincarnation in Christianity (Original post)
Tobin S. May 2019 OP
WheelWalker May 2019 #1
Tobin S. May 2019 #2

Response to Tobin S. (Original post)

Fri May 10, 2019, 01:08 PM

1. I second your high recommendation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WheelWalker (Reply #1)

Fri May 10, 2019, 01:09 PM

2. 10-4, partner.

Reply to this post