HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » NEW PIX OF JUPITER WILL R...

Tue May 25, 2021, 11:52 PM

NEW PIX OF JUPITER WILL ROCK YOUR (VERY VERY LARGE) WORLD

iJupiter in infrared by the Gemini Observatory, showing warmer areas as brighter and cooler darker. Credit: International Gemini Observatory/NOIRLab/NSF/AURA, M.H. Wong (UC Berkeley) et al. Acknowledgments: M. Zamani

Phil Plait
@BadAstronomer
May 12, 2021, 9:00 AM EDT (Updated)

Jupiter never disappoints.

11 times wider, 300 times more massive, and 1,300 times the volume of Earth, it's truly enormous. It's bigger than some stars! So there's a vast amount of room on our solar system's biggest planet for interesting things to see.

On January 11, 2017, both the Gemini North Telescope in Hawai'i and the Hubble Space Telescope orbiting above Earth were pointed at this gigantic world, taking images nearly simultaneously in different wavelengths to probe Jupiter's atmosphere.

The results are jaw-dropping.

That's Jupiter in visible light, the kind we see, taken using Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3. The image mimics what we see in some ways, but isn't exact: It's a combination of three images taken using narrow-band filters that let through very specific colors of light (a narrow slice of red, green, and blue each), whereas our eyes see a much wider range of colors in those three wavelengths.

Still, you can see the familiar dark belts and bright zones, horizontal wind patterns in the cloud tops that form the broad stripes you can see even with a small telescope. But the detail! Ribbons and wavy turbulence mark the boundaries between stripes, and dozens of planet-sized circular storms can be seen all over the place.

More:
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/new-pix-of-jupiter-will-rock-your-very-very-large-world

6 replies, 1580 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply NEW PIX OF JUPITER WILL ROCK YOUR (VERY VERY LARGE) WORLD (Original post)
Judi Lynn May 25 OP
elleng May 25 #1
Blue Dawn May 26 #2
elleng May 26 #3
Blue Dawn May 26 #4
elleng May 26 #5
malaise May 26 #6

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue May 25, 2021, 11:58 PM

1. WOW! and 'my' big 'nikon moon' impresses me!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Wed May 26, 2021, 05:10 AM

2. Yes, elleng!

And it certainly impresses me.

What a beautiful photo of our moon. I am impressed by your photos and look forward to seeing them when I come to DU. Thank you for sharing them.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Dawn (Reply #2)

Wed May 26, 2021, 05:25 AM

3. Another, at SET!

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #3)

Wed May 26, 2021, 05:30 AM

4. Wow!

That is absolutely stunning!

Elleng, you really have talent. I am in awe! Thank you for this beautiful image.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Dawn (Reply #4)

Wed May 26, 2021, 05:31 AM

5. Nikon and Nature do it!

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed May 26, 2021, 05:56 AM

6. Beautiful

Thanks Judi

Reply to this post