HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » New hypothesis argues the...

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 07:22 PM

New hypothesis argues the universe simulates itself into existence

A physics paper proposes neither you nor the world around you are real.

PAUL RATNER
26 April, 2020

Tetrahedrons representing the quasicrystalline spin network (QSN), the fundamental substructure of spacetime, according to emergence theory.

Credit: Quantum Gravity Institute

• A new hypothesis says the universe self-simulates itself in a "strange loop".

• A paper from the Quantum Gravity Research institute proposes there is an underlying panconsciousness.

• The work looks to unify insight from quantum mechanics with a non-materialistic perspective.

• How real are you? What if everything you are, everything you know, all the people in your life as well as all the events were not physically there but just a very elaborate simulation? Philosopher Nick Bostrom famously considered this in his seminal paper "Are you living in a computer simulation?," where he proposed that all of our existence may be just a product of very sophisticated computer simulations ran by advanced beings whose real nature we may never be able to know. Now a new theory has come along that takes it a step further what if there are no advanced beings either and everything in "reality" is a self-simulation that generates itself from pure thought?

The physical universe is a "strange loop" says the new paper titled "The Self-Simulation Hypothesis Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics" from the team at the Quantum Gravity Research, a Los Angeles-based theoretical physics institute founded by the scientist and entrepreneur Klee Irwin. They take Bostrom's simulation hypothesis, which maintains that all of reality is an extremely detailed computer program, and ask, rather than relying on advanced lifeforms to create the amazing technology necessary to compose everything within our world, isn't it more efficient to propose that the universe itself is a "mental self-simulation"? They tie this idea to quantum mechanics, seeing the universe as one of many possible quantum gravity models.

One important aspect that differentiates this view relates to the fact that Bostrom's original hypothesis is materialistic, seeing the universe as inherently physical. To Bostrom, we could simply be part of an ancestor simulation, engineered by posthumans. Even the process of evolution itself could just be a mechanism by which the future beings are testing countless processes, purposefully moving humans through levels of biological and technological growth. In this way they also generate the supposed information or history of our world. Ultimately, we wouldn't know the difference.

More:
    https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/new-hypothesis-argues-the-universe-simulates-itself-into-existence?rebelltitem=4#rebelltitem4

19 replies, 1209 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
    Replies to this discussion thread
    Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
    Reply New hypothesis argues the universe simulates itself into existence (Original post)
    Judi Lynn Dec 2020 OP
    Croney Dec 2020 #1
    Ferrets are Cool Dec 2020 #5
    SCantiGOP Dec 2020 #13
    WheelWalker Dec 2020 #19
    Solly Mack Dec 2020 #2
    William Seger Dec 2020 #14
    Solly Mack Dec 2020 #17
    sanatanadharma Dec 2020 #3
    I_UndergroundPanther Dec 2020 #10
    SheltieLover Dec 2020 #4
    Chemisse Dec 2020 #6
    PoliticAverse Dec 2020 #7
    soryang Dec 2020 #8
    BComplex Dec 2020 #9
    Duppers Dec 2020 #11
    William Seger Dec 2020 #15
    William Seger Dec 2020 #16
    Duppers Dec 2020 #18
    eppur_se_muova Dec 2020 #12

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 07:26 PM

1. But...but...Descartes!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Croney (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 08:12 PM

5. This

Reply to this post

Response to Croney (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 01:47 AM

13. His actual quote:

I think, therefore I am, I think.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 10:00 AM

19. I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 07:40 PM

2. I'm as real as you believe I am.

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 02:18 AM

14. I believe!!!

Feel better?

Reply to this post

Response to William Seger (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 03:15 AM

17. Actualization by mental self-simulation through meme perpetuation sounds regressive.

So, no. I don't feel better. But thank you for asking.

I'm just having fun.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 08:01 PM

3. So the entirety of what we call the creation, the universe, our world is

So the entirety of what we call the creation, the universe, our material world is just the scab that results from consciousness scratching an itch; satisfying a preexisting underlying desire via masturbation.

Reply to this post

Response to sanatanadharma (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 11:19 PM

10. The ancient egyptians

Thought the creator god spoke reality into existence. Then there are other acient gods who's followers say reality was created when a god jerked off.
    Self stimulation as the reason for reality.has been around forever

Were they aware of this idea? Maybe they were.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 08:04 PM

4. Spat

That was my brain melting on this yummy quantum mind candy.

Ty, Judi Lynn!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 08:16 PM

6. This just shifts the whole 'where did we come from' question

To that superior being who is imagining us.

If an answer to that was a part of this theory, I would be impressed.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 08:19 PM

7. That's just want the universe wants you to believe. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 09:01 PM

8. "neither you nor the world around you are real."

This is one side of the Buddhist scriptural debate depicted in the foreign film Xuan Zang. The debate is only a small part of a long movie, but represents in a sense the climax of the seventh century monk's long pilgrimage from China to India and back. In the film, Xuan Zang argued the view that neither were real.

https://democraticunderground.com/12492189

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogachara#Analysis_of_Consciousness

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 09:01 PM

9. Judi Lynn...you're the best in the world!

I just love all of your posts!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 19, 2020, 11:28 PM

11. Rational Wiki doesn't think much of Irwin..

Klee Irwin is a pseudoscience proponent.[1] He became widely known for his infomercials for "Dual Action Cleanse", a "natural" remedy,[2], which was subject to numerous lawsuits.[3] Some have reported being scammed by his company.[4]

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Klee_Irwin

Sorry but neither does the resident physicist here who said no physical Journal would publish this speculative theory, of course because this cannot be tested. Irwin is only self-published (Quantum Gravity Institute is his). It's speculative philosophy, not science.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 02:30 AM

15. "Ultimately, we wouldn't know the difference"

Not a very useful "theory," huh.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 03:08 AM

16. Ouch! The Rational Wiki section on his "quantum woo" is brutal

Quantum woo pushing

Having made a large sum of money from this [Dual Action Cleanse] business, Irwin has started to promote Quantum woo. In 2012 he has registered the domain name of "Quantum Gravity Research" [10][11], and in 2014 registered a non-profit organisation with the same name based in LA.[12]

In 2012 he has begun releasing "research papers"[13] about numerous junk sciences like cold fusion, the golden ratio, crystals, and consciousness. To make his scam appear more legitimate, he has hired several associates with genuine experience in Physics, and through them, has stuck his name on academic papers of varying legibility. [14][15]

In 2015 he also started uploading videos about the group's "research" [16], in which either he discusses various woo topics, or one of his associates "lectures" on Physics to Irwin himself or a crowd of no more than 5 people at a time. (however, it's worth noting that in those lectures, he often talks over them). The YouTube channel also hosts two 30-minute half-professionally produced fiction documentary films "What is Reality?" and "Hacking Reality" that cover a number of topics nearly all of which are completely misunderstood.[17][18]

Klee's philosophy could be described as a form of panpsychism, in which consciousness is, in Klee's view, a fundamental property of matter, and plays a role in quantum collapse. In his video lectures, he often invokes circular reasoning to come to the conclusion that "the universe self-actualizes itself."

It is likely that this whole effort is simply a donation scam, hoping to get donations intended to assist the team with their supposed research. It is obvious that Irwin and his associates put much effort to market the project and make it appear legitimate. Probably the biggest tell-tale sign of woo is the amount of material intended for the general public. Real research teams don't commission Documentaries on their work, or create fancy websites to publicize it.

Reply to this post

Response to William Seger (Reply #16)

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 03:44 AM

18. Exactly! Rational Wiki published the brutal truth.

As they always seem to.

Thanks for this follow-up. 👍

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 20, 2020, 01:24 AM

12. Tetrahedra?? 1,2,3, ... 20. Nope, not tetrahedra. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread