HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Ancient Roundworms Allege...

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 01:49 AM

Ancient Roundworms Allegedly Resurrected From Russian Permafrost

Skeptics cite possibility of ancient samples’ contamination by contemporary organisms

By Meilan Solly
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
JULY 30, 2018

The permafrost of Russia’s Siberian heartland has yielded an array of impressive finds in recent years. Last September, a local resident wandering along the banks of a river in the republic of Yakutia discovered the roughly 50,000-year-old remains of an extinct lion cub almost perfectly preserved by the permanently frozen ground. In 2015, Russian scientists chanced upon the similarly well-preserved remains of two ancient lion cubs dubbed Uyan and Dina.

Now, the Siberian Times reports, Yakutia’s frigid ground has produced yet another revolutionary discovery: Two nematodes, or roundworms, preserved in the Arctic permafrost for around 40,000 years have allegedly come back to life after being “defrosted” by researchers. If proven true, the claim—newly catalogued in the journal Doklady Biological Sciences—would make the roundworms Earth’s oldest living animals, shattering the record for the longest time an animal can survive cryogenic preservation.

According to New Atlas’ Michael Irving, a team of Russian scientists working in collaboration with Princeton University found the viable specimens while analyzing more than 300 soil samples taken from the Arctic permafrost. One of the samples was retrieved from a squirrel burrow located in the Duvanny Yar outcrop and dates to about 32,000 years ago. The older sample, which dates to about 41,700 years ago, was found in a glacial deposit near the Alazeya River. Both nematodes are believed to be female.

Irving writes that the worms were initially stored in a lab kept at -4 degrees Fahrenheit. Later, the samples were defrosted in a petri dish alongside an enrichment culture designed to encourage their growth. After spending several weeks basking in their new 68-degree Fahrenheit environment, the nematodes, against all odds, began moving and eating.

More:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ancient-roundworms-allegedly-resurrected-russian-permafrost-180969782/

5 replies, 564 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ancient Roundworms Allegedly Resurrected From Russian Permafrost (Original post)
Judi Lynn Oct 2020 OP
soothsayer Oct 2020 #1
Judi Lynn Oct 2020 #2
soothsayer Oct 2020 #3
Judi Lynn Oct 2020 #4
soothsayer Oct 2020 #5

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 05:19 AM

1. Two years ago thankfully

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to soothsayer (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 05:38 AM

2. Yep, I stumbled across it, knew I hadn't heard, decided to post it here.

Ancient roundworms that froze during the Ice Age have been brought back to life
amandacoetzee amandacoetzee
2 years ago

Cryonics is the practice or technique of deep-freezing the bodies of people who have just died, in the hope that scientific advances may allow them to be revived in the future.

The prehistoric roundworms (nematodes) that were alive between 32 000 and 42 000 years ago, when woolly mammoths roamed the earth, were found in two areas of Siberia in Russia.

Duvanny Yar
They were found in permafrost samples taken from the inside of an ancient squirrel burrow and from a site near a river and were kept in storage before being thawed.

According to the published research the nematodes showed signs of life after they had been defrosted in a laboratory at The Institute of Physico-Chemical and Biological Problems of Soil Science near Moscow. The worms reportedly “started moving and eating”.

More:
https://northglennews.co.za/140090/ancient-roundworms-froze-ice-age-brought-back-life/amp

Video linked in the article isn't available now, but here's one which covers the subject:

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 06:17 AM

3. Did they ever prove it, I wonder?

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 09:14 AM

4. I would think so, as Princeton University scientists worked on the project with them,

and the Smithsonian Magazine wrote it up.

Later, if I remember, I can look for more information, being interested in finding out more, myself.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 09:22 AM

5. Only found this 2019 story

https://futurism.com/frozen-worms-not-ancient

THAT STORY ABOUT THE ANCIENT FROZEN WORMS MIGHT BE BOLOGNA

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread