HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Science fiction builds me...

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 04:06 AM

Science fiction builds mental resiliency in young readers

By Esther Jones 19 hours ago

Young people who are “hooked” on watching fantasy or reading science fiction may be on to something.

Young people who are “hooked” on watching fantasy or reading science fiction may be on to something. Contrary to a common misperception that reading this genre is an unworthy practice, reading science fiction and fantasy may help young people cope, especially with the stress and anxiety of living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

I am a professor with research interests in the social, ethical and political messages in science fiction. In my book “Medicine and Ethics in Black Women’s Speculative Fiction,” I explore the ways science fiction promotes understanding of human differences and ethical thinking.

While many people may not consider science fiction, fantasy or speculative fiction to be “literary,” research shows that all fiction can generate critical thinking skills and emotional intelligence for young readers. Science fiction may have a power all its own.

Literature as a moral mirror
Historically, parents have considered literature “good” for young people if it provides moral guidance that reflects their own values. This belief has been the catalyst for many movements to censor particular books for nearly as long as books have been published.

More:
https://www.space.com/science-fiction-builds-mental-resiliency-in-young-readers.html

6 replies, 936 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Science fiction builds mental resiliency in young readers (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 15 OP
wcmagumba Jun 15 #1
Beartracks Jun 15 #4
Bernardo de La Paz Jun 15 #2
Judi Lynn Jun 15 #5
mopinko Jun 15 #3
Backseat Driver Jun 19 #6

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 05:37 AM

1. They "Grok" nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wcmagumba (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 07:08 AM

4. +1000

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 06:07 AM

2. Exercising imagination has powerful benefits. "Great Again" is back to the 1950s; no imagination

An African-American President or a woman President was too much for them to contemplate and they rejected both vehemently.

Note: my screen name is after a science-fiction character from a favourite novel.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 07:51 AM

5. Thanks for telling the origin of your screen name. Have wondered about it multiple times!

Haven't read the book, the name is distinctive.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 15, 2020, 06:33 AM

3. sheesh. didnt this person ever hear of star trek.

building a better world was the whole damn point.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 19, 2020, 09:55 PM

6. My just turned 10 grandson is reading a graphic novel based on

Homer's epic poem,"The Odyssey" The illustrations are magnificent, and the reading level "advanced" for a 10-year-old. Wonder if reading Sci-Fi and Graphic Novels of history w/Greek mythology gods/goddesses would also develop those critical skills. Hmmm...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread