HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Now Metal Particles From ...

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 02:07 AM

Now Metal Particles From Tattoo Needles Have Been Found in Human Lymph Nodes

MICHELLE STARR 28 AUG 2019

It's not just ink particles and contaminants that can travel through your body when you get tattooed. Researchers have now found that metal nanoparticles from the tattooing needles can get left behind, too.

These particles - shed from the needles used to puncture your skin and deposit the ink - include nickel and chromium, which are allergens. So they could induce allergic responses previously attributed only to the inks.

"There is more to tattoos than meets the eye," said environmental scientist Hiram Castilla of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF).

"It is not only about the cleanliness of the parlour, the sterilisation of the equipment or even about the pigments. Now we find that the needle wear also has an impact in your body."

Although we humans have been decorating our bodies with pigment deposited under the epidermis for thousands of years, little research has been done on what effect that ink has on our bodies.

Most of it does stay put, since the ink particles are too big for our immune systems to break down. But as ESRF scientists discovered last year, a very small amount of the minutest particles do actually get removed by the immune system, moving through the body before being deposited in the lymph nodes.

More:
https://www.sciencealert.com/metal-particles-from-tattoo-needles-have-been-found-in-human-lymph-nodes

4 replies, 629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Now Metal Particles From Tattoo Needles Have Been Found in Human Lymph Nodes (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 2019 OP
mitch96 Aug 2019 #1
NNadir Aug 2019 #2
Judi Lynn Sep 2019 #3
DavidDvorkin Sep 2019 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 06:53 AM

1. Curious if there is any proof that it causes harm? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 08:09 PM

2. I know this is not fashionable, and can be considered a kind of bigotry on my part...

...but I have strong negative reactions to Tattoos. Aesthetically and physiologically they creep me out.

I expect that at least one of my sons would like one, but I've politely asked him to wait until I die to get one.

I'm not thrilled with injected ink; the thought makes me squeamish.

Of course I relayed the contents of this piece immediately to the son in question.

Reply to this post

Response to NNadir (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 5, 2019, 02:13 AM

3. This new info. does add a layer of creepiness to them for me, too. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to NNadir (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 5, 2019, 08:17 PM

4. I'm with you.

Reply to this post