HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Supergravity scientists s...

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 12:52 AM

Supergravity scientists share $3M US Breakthrough Prize

3 scientists win Special Breakthrough Prize for bringing together gravity, quantum physics

Emily Chung · CBC News · Posted: Aug 06, 2019 4:37 PM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Peter van Nieuwenhuizen, Sergio Ferrara and Daniel Z. Freedman, left to right, shown at CERN in 2016 on the occasion of supergravity’s 40th anniversary. The trio won the $3-million US Special Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics announced Tuesday. (CERN)

Three scientists are getting a $3-million US prize for coming up with supergravity, a theory that suggests how to bring together the gravity that governs huge things like galaxies and the quantum physics that describes very tiny things like atoms.

The Special Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, announced Tuesday by the selection committee, goes to:

• Sergio Ferrara of CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research).
  • Daniel Z. Freedman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University.
  • Peter van Nieuwenhuizen of Stony Brook University.

The committee described their work, which was published in a 1976 paper, as "a highly influential" theory "that successfully integrated the force of gravity into a particular kind of quantum field theory.

"This award comes as a complete surprise," said Ferrara in a statement released by CERN on Monday. "Supergravity is an amazing thing because it extends general relativity to a higher symmetry — the dream of Einstein — but none of us expected this."

More:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/supergravity-breakthrough-prize-1.5237900?cmp=rss
  • 2 replies, 383 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
    Replies to this discussion thread
    Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
    Reply Supergravity scientists share $3M US Breakthrough Prize (Original post)
    Judi Lynn Aug 7 OP
    comradebillyboy Aug 7 #1
    Duppers Aug 7 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 01:44 AM

1. Reconciling General Relativity with Quantum Mechanics is a bif F'in deal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 04:19 AM

2. This is kinda a BFD!

Thanks so much for posting this one, Judy. It's of great interest to my hubs and my son, so I've passed it on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread