HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Rare skeleton shown of hu...

Wed Dec 6, 2017, 06:48 PM

Rare skeleton shown of human ancestor, 3.6 million years old

Researchers in South Africa have unveiled what they call "by far the most complete skeleton of a human ancestor older than 1.5 million years ever found."
The University of the Witwatersrand displayed the virtually complete Australopithecus fossil on Wednesday.
The skeleton dates back 3.6 million years. Its discovery is expected to help researchers better understand the human ancestor's appearance and movement.
The researchers say it has taken 20 years to excavate, clean, reconstruct and analyze the fragile skeleton.
The skeleton, dubbed Little Foot, was discovered in the Sterkfontein caves, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of Johannesburg when small foot bones were found in rock blasted by miners.

[link:http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Rare-skeleton-shown-of-human-ancestor-3-6-12409413.php?ipid=happening|

Stunning

3 replies, 802 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rare skeleton shown of human ancestor, 3.6 million years old (Original post)
Soph0571 Dec 2017 OP
Irish_Dem Dec 2017 #1
Soph0571 Dec 2017 #2
Irish_Dem Dec 2017 #3

Response to Soph0571 (Original post)

Wed Dec 6, 2017, 07:17 PM

1. I'd have thought we would make more progress in 3.5 million years.

We are evolving slowly.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 6, 2017, 07:23 PM

2. Heh. Are we not devolving?

Today I read a report that we are at the optimum of human evolving - it is all down hill from here apparently!

Reply to this post

Response to Soph0571 (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 6, 2017, 07:36 PM

3. Kind of feels like that is the case, we are going backwards these days. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread