HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » This Year’s Summer Solsti...

Mon Jun 20, 2016, 04:02 AM

This Year’s Summer Solstice Comes With a Rare Strawberry Moon

This Year’s Summer Solstice Comes With a Rare Strawberry Moon

Written by Steve Huff
19 June 2016 // 08:30 PM CET

The summer solstice arrives just after 6:30pm EST on Monday, June 20, marking the longest day of the year. And this year it comes with special treat for skywatchers: a Strawberry Moon.

"Strawberry Moon" is the nickname given to the full moon in June not because of its color, but because it falls at the height of the strawberry harvesting season, according to the Farmer’s Almanac. In certain parts of the world it was called “Rose Moon,” “Long Night Moon,” “Hot Moon,” or “Honey Moon,” the latter because it falls during a popular month for weddings.

A Strawberry Moon falling on the same day as the solstice is a very rare event—the twolast coincided in the Northern Hemisphere in 1967, at the beginning of the Summer of Love.

Farmer’s Almanac astronomy columnist Bob Berman writes that in “landing exactly on the solstice, this full moon doesn’t just rise as the Sun sets but is opposite the Sun in all other ways too.”

More:
http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/read/this-years-summer-solstice-comes-with-a-rare-strawberry-moon

[center] [/center]

2 replies, 1782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply This Year’s Summer Solstice Comes With a Rare Strawberry Moon (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 2016 OP
elleng Jun 2016 #1
SheriffBob Jun 2016 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jun 20, 2016, 05:32 AM

1. HERE!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jun 25, 2016, 09:51 PM

2. I saw it

It was scary and beautiful at the same time. I thought it was the end of the world but I felt fine.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread