HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Holding the car remote to...

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 03:45 AM

Holding the car remote to your head increases its range. (

Remote Car Key

Suppose your remote car door opener does not have the range to reach your car across the parking lot. Hold the metal key part of your key fob against your chin, then push the unlock button. The trick turns your head into an antenna, says Tim Pozar, a Silicon Valley radio engineer.

Mr. Pozar explains, “You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.” Using your head can extend the key’s wireless range by a few car lengths.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tech-myth-holding-the-care-rem-83663

3 replies, 2164 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Holding the car remote to your head increases its range. ( (Original post)
Ichingcarpenter Apr 2013 OP
JohnnyRingo Apr 2013 #1
dipsydoodle Apr 2013 #2
Ichingcarpenter Apr 2013 #3

Response to Ichingcarpenter (Original post)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:05 AM

1. I'd rather walk a few more steps.

...than look like Karnac. LOL

One thing I read that didn't work for me (because I have an older car) is that if you hold the unlock button down longer, the front windows roll down automatically. Probably good idea on a hot summer day.

I think if you hold it up to your head at the same time, the radio switches over to classic rock.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 05:24 AM

2. Does it follow

that when locking the car the windows wind up ? My first Supra years ago, 1984/5 model with Lotus suspension , did that and shut the sunroof too. I got the new model early '88 and that didn't apart from no sunroof anyway. In between EU laws has been changed to stop those features for safety reasons - children getting their heads caught.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 08:11 AM

3. check the NYT link

in the story for other tech oddities.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread