HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Pastor to rabbi, imam: U....

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 01:02 AM

Pastor to rabbi, imam: U.S. is a ‘Christian nation’ but we ‘let’ you worship

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/31/pastor-to-rabbi-imam-u-s-is-a-christian-nation-but-we-let-you-worship/

A Pentecostal bishop on Sunday told a rabbi and an imam that the U.S. was a “Christian nation” that was bridging religious divisions because Christians would “let” other faiths worship and “we’re not going to persecute you.”

Speaking to a interfaith panel on CBS News, Hope Christian Church Pastor Harry R. Jackson responded to Rabbi David Wolpe, who said that the Americans should “celebrate difference” because “God is greater than any religious tradition.”

“In deference to the Christian foundation of this nation, it is that foundation that allows us freedom,” Jackson explained. “I don’t see this diversity in other places. So to the credit of our Christian foundation of this nation, this freedom we’re experiencing is because folks came and said, ‘We believe this is to be a Christian nation. We feel like we’ve been persecuted in the places we came from, and we’re going to intentionally let this nation be founded in a way that if you come here and you’re Islamic and you come here and you’re Jewish, we’re not going to persecute you.’”

17 replies, 2028 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pastor to rabbi, imam: U.S. is a ‘Christian nation’ but we ‘let’ you worship (Original post)
Phillip McCleod Apr 2013 OP
defacto7 Apr 2013 #1
kestrel91316 Apr 2013 #2
cpwm17 Apr 2013 #3
Phillip McCleod Apr 2013 #4
defacto7 Apr 2013 #7
Tanuki Apr 2013 #9
cbayer Apr 2013 #13
OutNow Apr 2013 #5
Phillip McCleod Apr 2013 #6
defacto7 Apr 2013 #8
Humanist_Activist Apr 2013 #10
Bad Thoughts Apr 2013 #11
backscatter712 Apr 2013 #12
dimbear Apr 2013 #14
struggle4progress Apr 2013 #15
LiberalFighter Apr 2013 #16
rrneck Apr 2013 #17

Response to Phillip McCleod (Original post)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 01:20 AM

1. That is pure unadulterated

Horse pucky. The history is inaccurate, the arrogance is voluminous, and people who believe such nonsense cultivate the basis of everything evil we supposedly try to distance ourselves from in this country. This thinking breeds a racist caste society through ignorance and deception. His "system" is flawed to say the least and his aggrandizing manner is sickening and an embarrassment to America in the eyes of most of the civilized world.

I only hope his soap box shows how "stupid" can become an education to listeners on how not to be civilized.

Now let me tell you how I feel......

I'd better not.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 01:25 AM

2. Mr. Jackson is an incredibly arrogant prick, and an ignoramus to boot.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 01:27 AM

3. Typical right-winged religious bigot

They're so selfish. Nobody gave them our country. They can't have it.

Think like me or you will be infinitely tortured for eternity. You can only have a marriage that I approve of, because anything else is an offense to me, me, me, me.

Of course they create their god in their own image. It's such a great scam. They can then claim that their will is god's will.

Reply to this post

Response to cpwm17 (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 01:30 AM

4. sadly the pastor was pentecostal not evangelical..

..though i don't pretend to know his political leanings i got the sense he was ostensibly liberal.

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 03:55 AM

7. apples are oranges

Pentecostals are Evangelical. They call themselves the "charismatics" along with the Assembly of God and others. Evangelical ascribes to the evangelizing of the world for Christ and includes the Southern Baptist among others. Pentecostals simply add speaking in tongues (undefinable blabber from the spirit), faith healing, prophesy (seeing the future), and the like. Pat Robertson is a Pentecostal/Evangelical. They are the same with different entertainments to offer.

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 11:02 AM

13. What gives you the sense that he is a liberal?

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 02:22 AM

5. Oh yeah, that's what William Penn said when he started Pennsylvania -

NOT!

I don't know where/if Harry Jackson learned his history, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't in a school in Pennsylvania. My civics lessons, beginning in elementary school, explained how freedom of thought (free thinkers) was encouraged and people of many stripes were welcome in the early days of Pennsylvania including those persecuted by other colonies that were led by Puritans or Catholics or Anglicans. The original colonies were not homogeneous and were not formed into a nation for another 100 years. I wonder where Jackson cam up with the idea of this Christian foundation?

Reply to this post

Response to OutNow (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 02:28 AM

6. it's a common refrain that the u.s. is a 'christian nation'.

as if repeating a thing makes it somehow magically true.

Reply to this post

Response to Phillip McCleod (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 03:57 AM

8. like prayer. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 06:40 AM

10. Generally speaking I find this to be the general attitude of American Christians. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:01 AM

11. Socially and Culturally, he is not incorrect

The US is also built around white privilege and patriarchy. Our laws suggest that we should be more egalitarian, and they create a greatr degree of tolerance than in other nations. Nonetheless, Christian ideas and Christian social organization determine a lot about how the US works. The fact I had to drive around for an hour yesterday to get ibuprofen to treat my son's fever affirms that reality.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:35 AM

12. What a douchenozzle.

We should try to get his opinion on the sayings of Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine.

I'm convinced that those two founding fathers would be complete atheists today - they were deists, holding that God created the universe and gave reason to man. But their time was before Charles Darwin developed the theory of evolution, and before modern physics and cosmology. Today, they would be atheists.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 08:13 PM

14. The Boston Martyrs are a good example of the religious freedom the colonies enjoyed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_martyrs

After all, the settlers had come a long long way, and taking America away from the original owners was no picnic. Be honest now--why share with people who believe some other brand of Christianity?

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 09:27 PM

15. He's a right-wing wacko who writes for right-wing sites like Townhall

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2013, 01:38 AM

16. He is a pos and with his mindset I doubt his home is safe for children.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2013, 01:54 AM

17. That guy needs a ladder

so he can climb up on it and kiss my ass.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread