HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Progressive people of fai...

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 10:19 PM

Progressive people of faith: Part 2

From the article:

Recognized as a monumental peace and justice activist in Cuba, Italy, Africa, the U.S.S.R., and the U.S., American journalist and activist Dorothy Day was rejected for the Nobel Peace Prize as “too radical.” The Nobel committee was not wrong. Day’s belief in “the primacy of the spiritual” in social change, and her desire “to associate [herself] with ... the masses in loving and praising God” (Day) led her to found the Catholic Worker Movement – truly a radical fusion of activism and faith..........

Throughout her life, Day unabashedly and consistently spoke out, condemning fascism, nuclear weapons, and the Vietnam War, and supporting WWII draft resistance, an undertakers’ strike against the New York Catholic archdiocese, and the United Farm Workers’ unionization of migrant workers. Day’s balance of radical social beliefs and conservative doctrinal views enabled her to avoid being censured by the Church, and thus to raise awareness among Catholics and all people of struggles for social justice

A quote:

On the un-Christian behavior of many clergy: The scandal of businesslike priests, of collective wealth, the lack of a sense of responsibility for the poor, the worker, the Negro, the Mexican, the Filipino, and even the oppression of these, and the consenting to the oppression of them by our industrialist-capitalist order—these made me feel often that priests were more like Cain than Abel. ‘Am I my brother’s keeper?’ they seemed to say in respect to the social order.

http://www.fembio.org/english/biography.php/woman/biography/dorothy-day/

4 replies, 1364 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Progressive people of faith: Part 2 (Original post)
guillaumeb Mar 2017 OP
trotsky Mar 2017 #1
guillaumeb Mar 2017 #2
trotsky Mar 2017 #3
guillaumeb Mar 2017 #4

Response to guillaumeb (Original post)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 09:40 AM

1. I'm glad you listened and deleted your devotional posts linking to that bigoted religious site.

These are a better choice if you are looking to promote a positive message for your religion.

They won't stop anyone from continuing to criticize your religion, and your disrespectful treatment of atheists, but it's better than posting content from an anti-LGBTQI, anti-choice site.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to trotsky (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:01 AM

2. I am glad that I can serve as your inspiration for your counter-series.

And I am flattered that you chose my idea to copy.

Reply to this post

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:25 AM

3. Just as I have inspired you with my quotes from Neil deGrasse Tyson... n/t

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:26 AM

4. True. eom

Reply to this post