HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » "Youíre a Terrorist,...

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 06:47 AM

"Youíre a Terrorist, and I Canít Wait Until Donald Trump Deports All of You" (X-posted from LBN)

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141612544

Teacher to Muslim Refugee Student: Youíre a Terrorist, and I Canít Wait Until Donald Trump Deports All You Muslims.

The ACLU files complaints with the Departments of Education and Justice to stop public charter school from discriminating based on faith and national origin.

By Heather L. Weaver

Get a cup of coffee. Attend worship services. Go to the library. Board a flight. Ride a train. Take a bus. Drive a car. Walk down the street. Fill up at a gas station. Go to work.

These are things that most of us do every day without a second thought, but these unremarkable events are increasingly fraught with fear for many Muslims. As a wave of bigotry sweeps the country, Muslims (and those perceived to be Muslim) are facing unprecedented harassment, discrimination, and violence simply for living their lives. It seems anti-Muslim bigotry is everywhere, even in our public schools.

Today, the ACLU and the ACLU of Arizona filed letters of complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Education to make clear that enough is enough. Any anti-Muslim discrimination is detestable, but it is especially pernicious when it targets students in our public schools, which should be safe havens for students of all faiths, and those of none.

As alleged in the letters of complaint, the Academy of Excellence, a public charter school in Phoenix, Arizona, is anything but a safe haven for Muslim and immigrant students like our client A.A. During the 2015Ė2016 school year, A.A. was a sixth grader at the Academy, where he was repeatedly discriminated against by his teacher because he is a Muslim and because, as a refugee, he hails from Somalia.

snip----------------------------------

https://medium.com/aclu/teacher-to-muslim-refugee-student-i-cant-wait-until-donald-trump-deports-all-you-muslims-365ee45a2282#.jo65qt86f

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/31/1589075/-AZ-teacher-to-Muslim-student-I-can-t-wait-until-Trump-is-elected-He-s-going-to-deport-all-you?detail=email&link_id=5&can_id=c348afe84bcd52911384494b64f962ec&source=email-donald-trump-destroyed-emails-recordings-documents-in-defiance-of-court-orders&email_referrer=donald-trump-destroyed-emails-recordings-documents-in-defiance-of-court-orders&email_subject=donald-trump-destroyed-emails-recordings-documents-in-defiance-of-court-orders

3 replies, 1200 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Youíre a Terrorist, and I Canít Wait Until Donald Trump Deports All of You" (X-posted from LBN) (Original post)
stone space Nov 2016 OP
apcalc Nov 2016 #1
stone space Nov 2016 #2
whatthehey Nov 2016 #3

Response to stone space (Original post)

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 06:52 AM

1. It can happen anywhere,

But certainly reinforces my anti-charter school feelings.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 07:08 AM

2. Since we've been discussing the relationship of religion with mathematics and science lately, ...

...it is probably worth mentioning that this is a math and science teacher.

#notallmathematicians

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 11:06 AM

3. The telling thing on the larger thread

Is multiple people pointing out that the teacher is a racial minority, a propos of...well, nothing.

As if that meant she couldn't also be a majoritarian religious bigot, a combination she seems to pull off with ease.

It's not blacks per se that Trump is threatening to deport and exclude.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread