HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Religion Makes People Cra...

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 12:21 PM

Religion Makes People Crazy - Even Killers -

Kristchun, Muzzlim, whatever.

We have all seen the whack jobs. Some of them even come a knockin' on our doors babbling their nonsense. Pro Life, except when it comes to bombing Iraq for their oil, and to sell some military hardware. Then it's ok.

Unfortunately for all of the Muslims, there is government sponsored breeding of terrorists in Saudi Arabia going on, and no one is talking about it, except perhaps Bill Maher. The Saudis encourage terrorism, and broadcast their hate messages across the Muslim world on television. All with government money, and support.

The head of the snake was not Bin Laden, it is the Royal Family, and the "Islamists" they fund.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/opinion/saudi-arabia-an-isis-that-has-made-it.html

"The West’s denial regarding Saudi Arabia is striking: It salutes the theocracy as its ally but pretends not to notice that it is the world’s chief ideological sponsor of Islamist culture. The younger generations of radicals in the so-called Arab world were not born jihadists. They were suckled in the bosom of Fatwa Valley, a kind of Islamist Vatican with a vast industry that produces theologians, religious laws, books, and aggressive editorial policies and media campaigns."

Their religious schools breed terrorists.

"religious clergy that produces, legitimizes, spreads, preaches and defends Wahhabism, the ultra-puritanical form of Islam that Daesh feeds on."

We are dealing with the symptoms, not the disease.

We should at least talk about it...... before more people die, and don't even understand the reason.

It isn't Islam, it is state sponsored, Saudi funded extremist Islam, Wahhabism, born, bred and broadcast by the people who want to kill us, convert us, or rule us with their Sharia Law.

Time to have a real grown up talk planet wide on "religion" or in other words, lust for power over others. Today's religion sure isn't about "good versus evil" like we are told to believe.

15 replies, 1056 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Yallow (Original post)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 12:35 PM

1. Time to have a real grown up talk planet wide on "religion"

Amen

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Yorktown (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 12:38 PM

2. Good luck. We can't even get believers to have grown-up talk about religion here.

Reply to this post

Response to cleanhippie (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 12:47 PM

3. I know, I know. I was just 'praying' an adult discussion on religion could be possible.

But I am aware prayers are useless.

Reply to this post

Response to Yorktown (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 12:56 PM

4. I just read in another thread in another group that Pop Culture is why people are leaving religion.

When it was suggested that perhaps it's not so much pop culture that is to blame, but instead that people are more educated about the world and the stories that make-up religious belief are being seen as implausibly absurd, it was met with 'stop criticizing religion here".

That's about as 'adult' we're ever gonna get, unfortunately. Attrition through education takes a bit longer, but it's more effective in the long run, and it's effects are ever-lasting.

The good news is that the rate of attrition is increasing exponentially. The religious landscape of the world will be very, very different from now in just another 20 years. My bet is that in my lifetime, religious belief will be this quaint habit some humans still hang on to, but that espousing one's beliefs in the supernatural will be like farting in public.

Reply to this post

Response to cleanhippie (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:05 PM

6. I think it will take at least two centuries worldwide

I haven't searched the source yet, but I heard on the BBC that deep held beliefs in societies take about 6 generations to change radically. Example, from popular belief/support for the King to strict belief in democratic institutions.

I agree with you that education is the agent of change vs religion, but the job hasn't started in places like Afghanistan or Pakistan where a large chunk of education is religious.

So, countdown from now + X to start education there + 6 generations.

See you in 2200.

Reply to this post

Response to Yorktown (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:10 PM

7. I can't disagree.

But I think that in terms of the 'evolution' of religious beliefs, Islam lags behind xitianity by several generations.

So yes, in the ME, things will take a bit more time, but here in the west (and the more 'developed' world with governments not controlled by religion) things will start changing at at ever increasing pace. SO much so that it will force the rest of the world to catch up or be left behind.
The tolerance for putting up with superstitious, absurd beliefs as part of policy decisions is becoming less and less attractive to reasonable people. And that's a good thing.

Reply to this post

Response to cleanhippie (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:21 PM

10. True. I have a tidbit of data to back your opinion

Last edited Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:56 PM - Edit history (1)

here in the west (..) things will start changing at at ever increasing pace.

Taking the known figures for people calling themselves Christians in France over the past 50 years (a random half dozen years with data), and running a polynomial regression, one gets:

- Roman Catholics should become the minority in 10-15 years
- they should become a marginal percentage by 2100

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:03 PM

5. Thank you

I want to thank the many DU members who are openly criticising religion.

I don't have enough postings to get away with it.

Reply to this post

Response to nlkennedy (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:12 PM

8. Sure you do. Criticizing religion, an idea, is well within what's allowable here.

no matter what believers here tell you, criticizing religion is not bigotry.

Keep your criticism to religion and you'll be fine.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 01:21 PM

9. You're Welcome

When they ask me if I am a christian, I say no. I am a follower of christ's teachings. Something entirely different.

Feed the hungry
Heal the sick
Clothe the naked

You know

Liberal stuff.....

Reply to this post

Response to Yallow (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 6, 2015, 02:22 PM

15. Christ himself wasn't a Christian

Nor did he believe what Christians believe.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 02:12 PM

11. There is no post count required to participate here.

Please feel free to give your opinion and welcome to the religion room.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 04:16 PM

13. Just keep the conversation to the ideas

and subject and not the poster you reply to and you should be fine.

We also have a safe forum for Atheists and Agnostic were you are welcome.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 05:54 PM

14. There's no post count qualification for criticising religion. However,

we do have the Atheist & Agnotics group as a Safe Haven, so you might like to join us there.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 5, 2015, 03:05 PM

12. In order to be a "believer", one must shift from objective thinking that is based

on verifiable evidence to subjective thinking, based upon unverifiable notions. Such individuals may become not only their worst enemy but everyone else's as well.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread