HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Bicycling (Group) » WHHOOOO HOOOOO! I got a n...

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 06:42 PM

WHHOOOO HOOOOO! I got a new bike!!!!

I posted that I was considering 3 endurance type road bikes. These have a little more forgiven geometry, That's good for old fat guys and gals. I test road a Trek 1.1 yesterday and it was nice, but this morning I got to ride a Cannondale Synapse Claris, HOOOBOY was that sweet. This was a really good test ride as this bike shop is in a huge empty parking lot. The bike still had platform pedals without straps. I got a little too aggressive and slipped off a pedal. Long story short- the bike is mine. I removed the computer and bottle rack from the old bike and installed them on the new.

I took it for a short spin wearing the new shoes clicked into the new SPD pedals. I can't wait for tomorrow morning.

This morning was kind of miserable. I was scheduled for fasting blood test at 8:40. There is something wrong with me-I wake up at 5AM whether I want to or not. I've turned into my grandfather and father. Anyway with the cycling my morning sugars have been in the 60s. That is a little low, but not a problem as I will eat breakfast, not this morning. By the time I got to the clinic I was feeling definitely out of sorts shaky, on edge and feeling weak. The admitting lady is very nice and she asked me how I was, I told her that I wasn't feeling well because of the low sugar. They got me pretty quick and gave me a small can of OJ after the draw. That was instant relief. I checked my sugar in the car and it was up to 84.

I would've done a longer ride but duty called. The ground was miraculously dry enough to support the mower. So I let the mower drag me around the front and back yard. That's as good an aerobic workout as cycling, just not any fun.

9 replies, 1444 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply WHHOOOO HOOOOO! I got a new bike!!!! (Original post)
TexasProgresive Jun 2015 OP
In_The_Wind Jun 2015 #1
Thor_MN Jun 2015 #2
TexasProgresive Jun 2015 #3
Thor_MN Jun 2015 #7
TexasProgresive Jun 2015 #9
TexasTowelie Jun 2015 #4
TexasProgresive Jun 2015 #5
TeeYiYi Jun 2015 #6
TexasProgresive Jun 2015 #8

Response to TexasProgresive (Original post)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 06:45 PM

1. I'm very happy for you.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 07:35 PM

2. Did you take a tumble when you slipped off the pedal?

I hope not.

Reply to this post

Response to Thor_MN (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 07:49 PM

3. No, thank goodness because I was flying in a turn.

Mike the bike store guy, didn't mention it. He did say that I did really well. But you know he's in the business to sell bikes, right? He did show me this video so I wouldn't get too cocky.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 09:23 PM

7. OMG

I need a fresh pair of shorts just watching that....

Reply to this post

Response to Thor_MN (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 09:53 PM

9. Why Mike showed me that video

the guys were telling me that all adjustment are free for life and if I needed any help just ask. So I said, "I need you to help me "bunny hop" again. They laughed and then Mike said, "You gotta see this video."

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 07:49 PM

4. I'd say that I would meet you halfway on the bike rides,

but I think that would be a bit too far for both of us. If you are going to be riding your bike a lot then it will result in lower blood sugars and you may need to lower your insulin dosage.

I'm in a glucose tolerance stage so if my levels dip to the low 80s I start getting a woozy head and feeling the shakes. There was one time that my blood sugar dropped to 35 and I was perspiring so hard that it was scary. The most difficult thing though is controlling the intake of sugar that you don't have a rebound reaction.

As far as mowing lawns is concerned, I agree that it isn't any fun and I doubt that I will ever have to mow a yard again.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 08:21 PM

5. That's my plan

Currently I am taking 80 units of Lantus once a day, 1000 mg Metformin 2 times daily and some ridiculously expensive thing called Onglyza 5 mgs 1 daily. I really enjoy riding, it clears my head and if I can lower my drug load that will be a big plus. My weight is holding steady at 195. I thought I would tape my chest, belly and thighs. The 3 times I've done this chest is increasing, belly decreasing and thighs are bigger. I think there is a theory that belly fat increases insulin resistance, could be, I'll take any improvement.

Maybe I can drive down to lovely Wharton and we can do a little riding together, just for fun.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 08:39 PM

6. This thread needs a picture...

If I got it wrong, feel free post the proper pic.

...and congrats!

TYY

Reply to this post

Response to TeeYiYi (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 19, 2015, 09:46 PM

8. That's it just make the cranks black and you got it.

Thanks for the pic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread