HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Bicycling (Group) » Anyone else run "reversed...

Fri Sep 6, 2019, 04:01 PM

Anyone else run "reversed" brakes, right hand front?

Tangential to my last post, and a discussion on Reddit..

I ride a motorcycle as well as a bicycle; my muscle memory and mental response is definitely 100% moto so I reversed the brakes on my cycle for my own sanity.

I've found that even for no reason, it's better all-round - I can not only brake harder with my right paw on the front, but also modulate and control better. I routinely speed into turns faster than my pack and usually don't even slow down as much through the bend. Understanding weight transfer and steering dynamics helps too, but having the control over the main brake is the factor.

Anyone else doing this?

2 replies, 348 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anyone else run "reversed" brakes, right hand front? (Original post)
sir pball Sep 6 OP
Boxerfan Sep 6 #1
sir pball Sep 6 #2

Response to sir pball (Original post)

Fri Sep 6, 2019, 05:28 PM

1. I used to do that....

I raced Formula Singles in the 80's. I also rode downhill MB and I reversed the front brake-as you said muscle memory.

I recently took up riding a bicycle for exercise but I don't get into critical braking situations that much .

I gave up MC racing and all MC's after a broken neck at Sears Point '86.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Boxerfan (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 6, 2019, 05:34 PM

2. Fair answer

Sorry you had to quit motos, they are fun.

Routinely riding both, I just like consistency - when I panic brake on my bike my left toe involuntarily dips down. I figure it's better to grab the left hard (clutch) and blindly modulate the right...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread