HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Washington coach Chris Pe...

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:21 PM

Washington coach Chris Petersen to step down, move into advisory role as Jimmy Lake named coach

Washington coach Chris Petersen, 55, announced Monday that he will step down from his position with the Huskies after their bowl game and move into a "leadership advisory role" with the program. Defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake will take over as the team's coach.

"It has been a privilege and a professional dream fulfilled to be part of this world-class institution," Petersen said in a statement. "I will forever be grateful, honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to coach our fine young men on Montlake for these past six seasons. I thank each of them, as well as our coaches and administrative staff for the incredible commitment they've made to Husky football during my tenure. The football program and Husky Athletics across the board will continue to prosper and do it the right way with Jen Cohen's leadership and the University administration's commitment to excellence. I'll be a Husky for life, but now is the right time for me to step away from my head coaching duties, and recharge."

Petersen led Washington to a 54-26 (34-20 Pac-12) record in six seasons with the program. He joined the Huskies after an eight-year tenure at Boise State where he compiled a 92-12 mark, leading it to the 2010 Fiesta Bowl and overseeing the Broncos' transition from the WAC to the Mountain West.

The Huskies entered the 2019 season with Pac-12 title and College Football Playoff aspirations, but they finished 7-5 in a significant step down after posting a combined 32-9 (24-5 Pac-12) mark over the prior three seasons. Washington has lost three straight New Year's Six bowl games but finished first in the Pac-12 North in those seasons, winning Pac-12 titles in 2016 and 2018.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/washington-coach-chris-petersen-to-step-down-move-into-advisory-role-as-jimmy-lake-named-coach/amp/

This is sad news for me. He is one of the best coaches in college football and have always enjoyed his team's style of play.

1 replies, 199 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Washington coach Chris Petersen to step down, move into advisory role as Jimmy Lake named coach (Original post)
JonLP24 Dec 2 OP
yonder Dec 2 #1

Response to JonLP24 (Original post)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 06:47 PM

1. As a BSU fan I'm surprised by this-I figured he had a home there.

Coach Pete always had a trick play or 3 up his sleeve and wasn't afraid to use them. He had a tendency to play everybody on the team and wasn't against running the score a bit in order to do so. Another characteristic was the habit of commenting/focusing only on the next game coming up rather than anything after that.

The 2007 Fiesta Bowl with BSU/Oklahoma remains one of the best football games I've ever seen. Especially at the end, where some gutsy play calling allowed BSU to win and give the national audience a chance to see "his team's style of play."

I wonder what his long-range plans are? NFL someday? Though the way he keeps his cards close, we probably won't get to know that until it happens.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread