HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » It's official: Floyd Mayw...

Wed Jun 14, 2017, 05:07 PM

It's official: Floyd Mayweather coming out of retirement to box against mixed martial arts champion

Mayweather is making a return to the ring at age 40 in search of his 50th professional boxing victory as he takes on Conor McGregor, a title holder in multiple weight classes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

The fight will take place in Vegas on Aug. 26.

Mayweather is a -1,000 favorite at the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas, with McGregor paying back +650.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/19637155/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-megafight-finalized-aug-26

11 replies, 3171 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's official: Floyd Mayweather coming out of retirement to box against mixed martial arts champion (Original post)
True Dough Jun 2017 OP
exboyfil Jun 2017 #1
True Dough Jun 2017 #2
H2O Man Jun 2017 #7
True Dough Jun 2017 #8
H2O Man Jun 2017 #9
True Dough Jun 2017 #10
H2O Man Jun 2017 #11
ProfessorGAC Jun 2017 #3
True Dough Jun 2017 #4
ProfessorGAC Jun 2017 #5
H2O Man Jun 2017 #6

Response to True Dough (Original post)

Wed Jun 14, 2017, 05:20 PM

1. McGregor is boxing

He is going to get killed unless Mayweather has too much rust on him (40 years old and being out for two years).

At least Mayweather is smarter than Muhammad Ali who went into the ring at nearly 39 with Larry Holmes in his prime.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 14, 2017, 05:45 PM

2. When you say "killed"

I agree if you mean a lopsided decision. Floyd will score often and in flurries, and with his magnificent defense, he will surely dodge McGregor's heavy punches. But I don't think Mayweather will be able to KO Conor. McGregor has a damn good chin. It's more a question of his gas tank running dry by the sixth round.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 01:34 PM

7. A lopsided decision

seems the most likely outcome.

The second most likely is what Teddy Atlas has predicted: McGregor gets frustrated, then starts to be humiliated, and then gets disqualified for a flagrant foul.

Still, the 12 three minute rounds become awfully long if one is missing punches, and getting countered. A relaxed fighter never gets tired, as Floyd has shown. He frequently ups his output in the second half of a fight. A TKO, including on cuts, is a real possibility.

Last, Floyd did show a bit of rust in his previous "comeback" bout in 2009, against a smaller Marquez. There is a chance that Connor hits and hurts him.

Reply to this post

Response to H2O Man (Reply #7)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 01:51 PM

8. "There is a chance that Connor hits and hurts him."

You wouldn't bet any money on such an outcome, would you?

As for Atlas's prediction, I have read that Mayweather has insisted there be a clause inserted in the contract that if McGregor were to be disqualified for a flagrant foul then he would be penalized a substantial portion of his purse. Not sure if that is legit, but it would make sense for Floyd to remove any incentive for McGregor to resort to leg kicks, knees, elbows or takedowns.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #8)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 02:04 PM

9. From life experience,

I can say with certainty that getting hit by a powerful opponent indeed hurts. But Floyd has solid whiskers, and even when hit by Mosley early, recovered quickly. Then punished Shane for the rest of the night!

If Connor lands a solid blow, to the head or body, Floyd will feel it. But as far as being knocked out, I'd say it's about a one-inj-a-billion chance.

Reply to this post

Response to H2O Man (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 02:51 PM

10. That's my point

I don't question that McGregor has power. He can throw with substantial force. I just can't see him being able to connect with arguably the best defensive fighter in the history of the sport, even at age 40.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #10)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 03:19 PM

11. Landing one punch

against Floyd is mighty difficult. But to actually hurt him, one has to land at least two in combination. Some great champions have failed to land that one, much less two (or more). I wasn't disagreeing with your point. His skill level is unique, and goes far beyond anything that can be taught.

It's funny: I see a lot of young lions in the amateurs attempting to imitate Floyd's style. Reminds me of when I fought, and people tried to imitate Ali. I tell young guys what Rubin Carter taught me: Do not imitate anyone -- much less an Ali (or Floyd!), because he who knows why always masters he who knows how.

I've met Floyd. He's much different off camera, than the character he plays on camera.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Original post)

Thu Jun 15, 2017, 06:47 AM

3. Hey TD!

As someone who doesn't gamble on anything (even in golf where i play to a 3.5), what does the -1000 and +650 mean?

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 15, 2017, 09:17 AM

4. You know what, Professor?

I am not a sports bettor either. To the best of my understanding, you would need to bet $1000 to win $100 on a Floyd Mayweather victory. Conversely, if you bet $100 on McGregor and he pulls off the upset, you collect $650.

I stand to be corrected on that, however.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 15, 2017, 09:22 AM

5. Makes Sense

I was leaning that way, but since i have zero experience, it was, at best, a wild guess.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 17, 2017, 01:28 PM

6. Among the boxing community,

very little attention is paid to the Vegas gambling odds. It is more of a focus of the business community, as it is often a measure of what level of benefits they will gain from people attending a big fight.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread