HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » NFL helping fund new Tott...

Fri Apr 21, 2017, 01:44 PM

NFL helping fund new Tottenham Hotspur stadium - sources

The NFL is helping to fund Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium and has contributed 10 million ($12.8m) to the project so far, sources have told ESPN FC.

The initial payment, recorded in the club's financial results, will go towards the tailoring of the 61,000-seater stadium for the hosting of NFL matches.

It is the first part of a significant contribution from the NFL to the overall cost of Spurs' new home, which it is estimated will be around 800m.

Tottenham have agreed a 10-year deal for the NFL to host a minimum of two matches per year at the stadium, which is expected to open for the start of the 2018-19 season.

(snip)

Speaking last year, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy told ESPN: "If it ever got to a stage where the NFL decided it wanted to have a permanent team in London, this stadium could literally be their stadium as opposed to an NFL team feeling they're renting Tottenham's stadium."

Mark Waller, the NFL executive vice-president who is working with Levy on the project, has said the NFL hopes to have a permanent franchise in London by 2020.

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hotspur/story/3108630/nfl-helping-fund-new-tottenham-hotspur-stadium-sources

4 replies, 3392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply NFL helping fund new Tottenham Hotspur stadium - sources (Original post)
JonLP24 Apr 2017 OP
sharp_stick Apr 2017 #1
LisaM Apr 2017 #3
JonLP24 Apr 2017 #4
LisaM Apr 2017 #2

Response to JonLP24 (Original post)

Fri Apr 21, 2017, 01:54 PM

1. Could you imagine how much fun it would be for a team like the Seahawks

or Cowboys to travel to London for a game only to get back home for another one the next week? I suppose you could try to schedule teams travelling to London for bye weeks when they get home but if they ever managed to get a home playoff or two in London it would be a nightmare.

I think the idea of putting a permanent team at least 5 time zones, and as many as 8 away from any existing team isn't very smart.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sharp_stick (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 21, 2017, 01:56 PM

3. I clicked on this story because it was Spurs, but I'm actually not a fan of the London games.

Among other things, they come on at 6:30 in the morning on the West Coast. My friends in Michigan like it, but it's just too early on a Sunday to get up and watch a game.

Reply to this post

Response to LisaM (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 22, 2017, 03:57 PM

4. My Cardinals play the Rams in London and Im not looking forward to it at all

because of the 6:30 reason but luckily it is a road game, it comes before the bye week, and the time zone affect will be the same for both teams.

Reply to this post

Response to JonLP24 (Original post)

Fri Apr 21, 2017, 01:54 PM

2. COYS!

I just hope they don't give it a terrible name.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread