HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Tim Tebow assigned by Met...

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:26 PM

Tim Tebow assigned by Mets to Class A ball

Makes sense. He might have a degree of success at that level and he will be a draw based on his name recognition.

Tim Tebow will begin his professional baseball journey in 2017 with the New York Mets' Class A team in Columbia, South Carolina.

The 2007 Heisman Trophy winner was told Monday that he will be assigned to the Columbia Fireflies, the Mets' affiliate in the South Atlantic League.

"Sending him to a full-season club is what we hoped to be able to do," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told Newsday. "And based on what he's done in spring training, and his whole body of work since last fall, we feel comfortable with him going to Columbia."

Tebow is hitting .235 (4-for-17) in six games for the Mets in spring training, entering Monday's Grapefruit League play. The Mets have been playing him in the outfield.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18960670/tim-tebow-play-new-york-mets-class-club-columbia-fireflies

29 replies, 3302 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tim Tebow assigned by Mets to Class A ball (Original post)
True Dough Mar 20 OP
CanonRay Mar 20 #1
tazkcmo Mar 20 #2
brush Mar 20 #3
ProfessorGAC Mar 21 #8
brush Mar 21 #10
ProfessorGAC Mar 21 #11
brush Mar 21 #12
ProfessorGAC Mar 21 #13
Brother Buzz Mar 20 #4
Docreed2003 Mar 20 #5
True Dough Mar 20 #6
Docreed2003 Mar 20 #7
ProfessorGAC Mar 21 #9
JonLP24 Apr 13 #27
ProfessorGAC Apr 13 #29
True Dough Apr 7 #14
Brother Buzz Apr 7 #15
bluedigger Apr 7 #16
True Dough Apr 7 #17
bluedigger Apr 7 #18
True Dough Apr 9 #19
bluedigger Apr 9 #20
Brother Buzz Apr 9 #21
True Dough Apr 10 #22
Brother Buzz Apr 10 #23
True Dough Apr 10 #24
hughee99 Apr 10 #25
True Dough Apr 10 #26
Brother Buzz Apr 13 #28

Response to True Dough (Original post)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:44 PM

1. Jesus will not make that little ball any bigger for Tommie

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:47 PM

2. At an age when most athletes

are retiring. I guess he's saved a lot of fair wear and tear on his body due to his lack of professional level athletic ability. Good on him.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 05:50 PM

3. We all know he can't throw. And batting .235 now we all know he can't hit either

Last edited Tue Mar 21, 2017, 04:10 PM - Edit history (1)

Give it up Tebow. You shoulda stayed in football and played tight end or fullback.

Star quarterback or star outfielder for the Mets is just not in the cards for you.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:14 AM

8. And, He Ain't Hitting Off Verlander. . .

. . .or Kershaw or Baumgardner or Arieta or Hendricks. As Lou said in "Major League 2", "yeah off a guy that'll be bagging groceries in a couple weeks."

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:27 AM

10. Yep! And if he wasn't Tebow, with those stats he'd be bagging groceries too

His name will get him another sports network job until he gets his next notion to play another sport...Maybe boxing or MMA or hockey. He's big enough to be a good enforcer on the ice, if he can skate that is.

And speaking of boxing (I assume everyone responding on this thread are the DU sports fans), I just saw a video on ESPN of Floyd Mayweather during halftime at an NBA game, 40-years-old now, in street clothes and shoes, all 5' 9" of him, starting from the top of the key, dribble to the basket, elevate and dunk the basketball.

Jaws dropped throughout the arena, including the players.

And I mean he didn't just barely dunk, he had his hand in the rim past his wrist.

I saw that and thought to myself, if Connor McGregor sees that, he may back out of their fight. I mean I had no idea he was that spectacular an athlete.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #10)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 01:58 PM

11. Funny Note

As a b-ball player my one real skill was leaping. I could dunk when i was 5'6". In fact, years later the coach and i were talking at a reunion and he told me (he was brand new to the school that year) that i made the team before the first practice even started because he saw me jump up and grab the rim with both hands from a standing start. He said he told himself that he could teach me basketball but he couldn't teach that.

Grew to 5'9" but couldn't have gotten hear the rim by the time i was 40.

The fact that Floyd could still do that is pretty remarkable even to me, who actually could do that at that height, albeit a heck of lot younger.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #11)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 02:26 PM

12. Hats off, man. You still play?

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #12)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 03:45 PM

13. No Way

I'm 60 years old. I was never the "shooter dude". With the way i played, from 35 years old on, b-ball was a knee injury waiting to happen.

That and i have had MS for 20 years. Doesn't affect my life much, but any quickness i still had at 39 years old went away in a big hurry when that happened.

I did love playing pick up games and guys would enjoy me on the team because i actually craved playing D. Used to frustrate the crap out of taller guys when a guy 8 or 9 inches played physically, made them work for the ball, and then had a chance to block their shot anyway. That could really take a guy out of his game. The little guy blocked his shot. Start forcing stuff, charging, making dribbles moves they really can't make and start tossing the ball away. Kind of fun to be that annoying little bugger.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:26 PM

4. Woohoo, Class A, baby!

Will this be apex of his baseball career?

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:48 PM

5. If he weren't Tebow, with similar stats would he even make a single A roster?

Reply to this post

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #5)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 06:55 PM

6. Hmm...

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 20, 2017, 07:01 PM

7. Lmao...

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #6)

Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 AM

9. He Could At Least Steal Bases

And cover a lot of ground in the OF. And, if they made him mad, he might have bought the team and fired everyone.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #9)

Thu Apr 13, 2017, 01:44 PM

27. I think Jordan improved as the season went on

He put in a lot of time but he just went back to basketball. I wouldn't expect Tebow to blow them out but if he puts in the time and gets better. My cousin never even made it to an affiliated minor league team. He went to the title game with the Tucson Toros as the team's starting short stop.

On, September 7, 2009, the Toros captured their very first GBL South Division Championship by defeating the St. George RoadRunners 3 games to 2 and advanced to the GBL Championship Series in their inaugural GBL season. They faced the North Division champion Calgary Vipers, and lost to the Vipers 3 games to 1 in a best of 5 championship series.

On October 27, 2010, it was announced at the GBL website that the Toros would take 2011 off due to the Triple-A Tucson Padres playing their season at Kino Stadium (formerly Tucson Electric Park).

On July 21, 2011, the Toros announced on their website that members of the Yuma Scorpions would play as the Toros in a doubleheader and that it would be the team's final night in action. The reason for their farewell was that the franchise received an eviction notice from the city of Tucson that their lease of Hi Corbett Field was terminated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson_Toros

Afterwards he played a couple seasons with Sioux City. A lifetime .273 average in Independent League baseball. Here's the thing, he played baseball his whole life. His dad, my uncle had the 7th highest BA in Colorado High School baseball and he played in baseball leagues year round until high school and he was good too so what Tebow is accomplishing is something people work hard all their life and never threaten to make it.

Reply to this post

Response to JonLP24 (Reply #27)

Thu Apr 13, 2017, 03:09 PM

29. That's Pretty Cool, Jon

As to the Jordan/Tebow thing, the truth is neither get the shot if they don't have that name recognition. But, at least in the case of Jordan, Reinsdorf owed Jordan big. The value of the franchise octupled due to MJ's presence. And, he spent over half his Bulls career not even among the top 10 best payed players. (I know they made it up at the end with that 2 year windfall contract.)

With the money MJ made Jerry, the organization had no problem sending MJ to Birmingham.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #14)

Fri Apr 7, 2017, 12:25 PM

15. The pitcher, Domenic Mazza, throws blistering 84 mph fastballs

Domenic is in the Giants farms system and is know for great placement control (whoops, your welcome Timmy), and will most likely become a professional golfer when he gets all this baseball stuff out of his system.

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #14)

Fri Apr 7, 2017, 02:48 PM

16. Followed by three strike outs and a ground out.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #16)

Fri Apr 7, 2017, 03:22 PM

17. Spoil sport!

Way to give the story a sour ending!

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #17)

Fri Apr 7, 2017, 06:18 PM

18. I don't write the stories.

I just tells 'em like I sees 'em.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #18)

Sun Apr 9, 2017, 07:21 PM

19. That's 2 homers in 3 games!

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #19)

Sun Apr 9, 2017, 09:13 PM

20. The kid could be AAA material by 32, I tells ya!

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #19)

Sun Apr 9, 2017, 10:17 PM

21. .231 batting average, baby!

3-for-13 with five RBIs (all made on his two homers). He struck out five times and left 13 runners on base.

Keep your duffel packed, Timmy, you'll get that phone call yet.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #21)

Mon Apr 10, 2017, 12:19 AM

22. All the Hater-ade for Tebow here!

Good grief!

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #22)

Mon Apr 10, 2017, 12:33 AM

23. Good grief, a team needs players who can make base hits....

not 'go for broke' prima donas aiming for the damn fence.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #23)

Mon Apr 10, 2017, 01:16 AM

24. Some guys have made the bigs doing just that

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #24)

Mon Apr 10, 2017, 12:30 PM

25. I was actually thinking Rob Deer

Reply to this post

Response to hughee99 (Reply #25)

Mon Apr 10, 2017, 01:13 PM

26. Great on the base-paths too!

Nothing runs like a Deer!

Reply to this post

Response to True Dough (Reply #24)

Thu Apr 13, 2017, 02:08 PM

28. Timmy has to hit the ball first. He's presently in a minor slump, batting a measly .174, BUT...

Timmy's minor league coach says he has MLB talent, so he has that going for him.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/12/tim-tebow-minor-league-coach-team-leader/

Keep that duffel packed, this is just a bump in the road, Mr MLB Talent.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread