HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Ernie Banks receives Pres...

Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:54 PM

Ernie Banks receives Presidential Medal of Freedom...

Cubs legend Ernie Banks was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama on Wednesday in Washington, D.C.

The Medal of Freedom, established in 1963 by President John F. Kennedy, is presented to individuals who have made “an especially meritorious contribution to the security and national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.” Recipients of the award are chosen by the president, with the assistance of the Distinguished Civilian Service Awards Board.

Banks was one of 16 Americans honored Wednesday, in a group that included former President Bill Clinton, media icon Oprah Winfrey, former astronaut Sally Ride, feminist Gloria Steinem and North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/20/ernie-banks-medal-of-freedom/?section=si_latest

2 replies, 777 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ernie Banks receives Presidential Medal of Freedom... (Original post)
Upton Nov 2013 OP
hughee99 Nov 2013 #1
joeybee12 Nov 2013 #2

Response to Upton (Original post)

Wed Nov 20, 2013, 07:30 PM

1. Congrats to Banks and the other recipients.

How long until repukes start complaining that Oprah "bought" her Medal of Freedom?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hughee99 (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:23 PM

2. Hey, I'll complain!

She really bugs me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread