HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Reading & Writing » Science Fiction (Group) » So, who else has been re-...

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 08:08 AM

So, who else has been re-reading the 'Foundation' series with more dread than normal? (n/t)

4 replies, 2031 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply So, who else has been re-reading the 'Foundation' series with more dread than normal? (n/t) (Original post)
OldBaldy1701E Apr 2022 OP
Pobeka Apr 2022 #1
PoindexterOglethorpe Apr 2022 #2
OldBaldy1701E Apr 2022 #3
PoindexterOglethorpe Apr 2022 #4

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Original post)

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 09:42 AM

1. I re-read it about five years ago. It didn't upset me.

First time I read it I was about 15 years old. That was a while back

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Original post)

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 10:45 AM

2. I recently reread

The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and that's quite prescient.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 07:41 PM

3. Now there is another one that I need to visit again. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 11:07 PM

4. Yes!

In August of 2021 my science fiction book club group in Kansas did The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and we had the joy of having her participate in our discussion. Here's a link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/kcsff.literati/ You will have to scroll down to August, 2021 to find the link, but then if you want you can watch the entire discussion. It's amazing. She talks about how certain characters came about to serve the needs of the plot. Wow.

I have had the enormous pleasure of meeting Connie at various s-f things, and she is simply the smartest, most acerbic, and funny person I have ever met. I actually got to see the eclipse in August, 2017, with her, her husband and their daughter. It was incredible. Courtney, her husband, is a now retired professor of physics and had his own telescopes and other equipment to view the eclipse with. We met up in Kearney, NE, and went to Ravenna to watch the eclipse. Ravenna had three different parks set up for people to watch the eclipse. We went to one that worked out quite well for us. I was utterly enthralled watching Connie talk to people there, and I kept on wanting to grab them and tell them, "This is Connie Willis!" But what I saw was that she had a good balance of being honored in the s-f world, and being completely anonymous everywhere else.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread