HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » African American (Group) » The awkward questions abo...

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 10:17 PM

The awkward questions about slavery from tourists in US South

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49842601

"It was late in the summer of 1619 that a ship bearing "not any thing but 20 and odd Negroes" docked at the fledgling port of Point Comfort, Virginia.

Those Africans were among the first victims of the American slave trade, 400 years ago.

It has been 154 years since Congress abolished slavery. Since that time, only five generations of African Americans have been born free.

Forty percent of all the slaves that were brought to America came through Charleston, South Carolina. The homes they were sold into, where they were forced to work until death, are now tourist attractions branded on picturesque allure."

2 replies, 780 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The awkward questions about slavery from tourists in US South (Original post)
GeoWilliam750 Oct 5 OP
juxtaposed Oct 5 #1
Thomas Hurt Oct 5 #2

Response to GeoWilliam750 (Original post)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 10:38 PM

1. I think this from the bbc hits that point

But Charleston reflects a wholly American truth: that nothing here is untouched by the legacy of slavery, even centuries on. What is less certain is how a city - and a nation - should talk about such a difficult past.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to GeoWilliam750 (Original post)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 10:40 PM

2. Several of ancestors owned slaves and three of them that I know of fought for the confedracy.

No need to romanticize it though....I imagine they were right @33holes, the lot of them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread