HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Race & Ethnicity (Group) » How do I response to a wh...

Fri Mar 8, 2013, 09:52 PM

How do I response to a white friend's tweet about colorblind hiring?

I (an Asian-American) just found this from a friend's twitter: "The fact business, government, and law enforcement still hires by race or gender is pathetic...If you can do the job well and in a professional manner, then you are right for the job."

I don't quite know how to respond to this. He's slightly conservative too. How do I articulate how race/diversity matter in the workplace without asserting that it's discriminatory to do so?

4 replies, 1839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply How do I response to a white friend's tweet about colorblind hiring? (Original post)
alp227 Mar 2013 OP
lunasun Mar 2013 #1
ZombieHorde Mar 2013 #2
southernyankeebelle Mar 2013 #3
TimberValley Mar 2013 #4

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Fri Mar 8, 2013, 09:59 PM

1. do not bother imo If the person is tweeting this they already have a strong opinion and they want

everyone to know it!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:04 PM

2. Often times, I think conservatives want to live like

we live in an ideal world without actually creating an ideal world.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:26 PM

3. You could say only a racist would say something like that. But on the other hand

let it go. Sometimes you just can't reason with stupid. I will tell you in the long run "silence is golden". That speaks volumes. You are right of course that diversity is the spice of life. I can't image my life with just one boring group of people.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 17, 2013, 02:05 PM

4. both sides of the coin need to be addressed.

while you can't have a workplace that is all-white (or all-Asian, or all-black, or all-Hispanic, for that matter,) an employer also shouldn't hire a less-qualified minority applicant over a more-qualified white applicant for the sole reason that the minority is of a minority race.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread