HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » People » Seniors (Group) » Looking for suggestions f...

Tue May 24, 2016, 09:15 PM

Looking for suggestions for my community to improve life for seniors.

Our municipality received a grant to develop programs and services to aid seniors. The town already has a bus that can take seniors shopping and such. There is a snow shoveling service provided by Seton Hall University students. There are free tickets to some events at the performing art center.

Does your community offer creative services for seniors that might be incorporated into our town program?

4 replies, 2185 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Looking for suggestions for my community to improve life for seniors. (Original post)
Hoppy May 2016 OP
LiberalElite May 2016 #1
Curmudgeoness May 2016 #2
Hoppy May 2016 #3
Citrus May 2016 #4

Response to Hoppy (Original post)

Tue May 24, 2016, 09:28 PM

1. Here's a link to a neighborhood social service agency in NYC that

currently has programs for all ages - BUT they started out with (and continue) programs for seniors. Maybe some of these activities could be useful.

https://www.scsny.org/calendar

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 24, 2016, 09:28 PM

2. We have a senior center in town,

so there is a lot of activities for seniors, from art classes to senior day care to low cost lunches and daily exercise sessions. Our community also put on a play called Senior Follies every year with all the players being seniors---it is usually a musical. And some of the most popular events are health fairs and free tax prep. There is also a farmers market voucher that the state issues to low income seniors so they can get fresh produce. Those are a few of the things that we do here.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #2)

Wed May 25, 2016, 06:30 AM

3. I guess our town is in pretty good shape already.

We have all of those programs except the Senior Follies.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to this post

Fri May 27, 2016, 10:34 PM

4. Conscious Aging Workshops

Check into the IONS Conscious Aging Workshop. There might be a facilitator near you. Or perhaps someone would be interested in becoming a facilitator in order to offer the workshop. It's an extremely flexible program that can be tailored to the needs of the participants and/or the skills and experience of the facilitator. (I'm a facilitator, but I know I'm not in your area.)

[link:http://www.noetic.org/education/conscious-aging|

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread