HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » 'If others have rifles, w...

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 04:11 AM

'If others have rifles, we'll have rifles': why leftist groups are taking up arms

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/22/if-others-have-rifles-well-have-rifles-why-leftist-groups-are-taking-up-arms

Kim Kelly in Seattle
Mon 22 Jul 2019 01.00 EDT

The van lumbered down one of Seattle’s many steep hills. A half dozen people packed inside but despite the heat, most wore long pants and boots, and several sported black hoodies. The atmosphere was subdued, except for the occasional joke. It wasn’t so much tension as seriousness – there was work to be done.

The people in the van are members of the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club (PSJBGC). Their stated aim is to fight white supremacy and build community defense in America’s Pacific Northwest, and their presence has become a fixture of protests in the Seattle and Tacoma areas, where the group is often invited to provide security against rightwing aggression.

The night before, several of them had been called to a library in nearby Renton, Washington, where a Drag Story Time Hour, an event series in which a local drag queen or drag king reads to children in a library or bookstore, was being disrupted by rightwing protesters. The protesters, who opposed the event as “immoral”, held up signs equating drag with pedophilia, and screamed “Shame! Shame!” at parents and their kids. Among them were members of the Proud Boys, a violent rightwing street gang, and Three Percenters militia, who were open-carrying firearms.

The north-west has been at the center of tense political clashes over the last two years. The area is an adopted home base for far-right groups like Patriot Prayer, Identity Evropa/American Identity Movement and the Proud Boys, who have organized numerous marches that have ended in violence. In response, a range of leftist groups have organized self defence groups and, in doing so, present gun ownership as a way to protect themselves and others...

An unfortunate, but necessary, development- no amount of well-meaning laws will disarm violent right-wingers.

12 replies, 1867 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'If others have rifles, we'll have rifles': why leftist groups are taking up arms (Original post)
friendly_iconoclast Jul 22 OP
tymorial Jul 22 #1
friendly_iconoclast Jul 22 #9
tymorial Jul 23 #12
pecosbob Jul 22 #2
friendly_iconoclast Jul 22 #7
pecosbob Jul 22 #8
Locrian Jul 22 #3
The Mouth Jul 22 #6
MarvinGardens Jul 22 #10
gordianot Jul 22 #4
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jul 22 #5
MarvinGardens Jul 22 #11

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 06:22 AM

1. Oh yeah this will go well

One of these days these two groups will start shooting each other and some innocent bystander will be killed. It won't matter which side fired the shot..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tymorial (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 01:15 PM

9. Strongly worded expressions of concern aren't stopping neofascists

What do you think ought to be done about them?

Reply to this post

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Reply #9)

Tue Jul 23, 2019, 07:17 AM

12. I am never going to support violence

Eom

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 07:07 AM

2. I have worried about false flag 'leftist' activities 'coming to light' a lot lately...

Reply to this post

Response to pecosbob (Reply #2)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:29 PM

7. Much, if not most, of the hooded antifa are plants. I think these people are for real

Of course, if you've any evidence they're not I'm sure we'd all be grateful if you would post it...

Reply to this post

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Reply #7)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 01:05 PM

8. I didn't mean to indicate that

Just voicing the same thing you just posted.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 07:15 AM

3. isn't there a book on guns in american history?

With regard to the left?

I seem to remember the black panthers and other groups causing a stir.
Weren't some attempts at gun laws due to the "liberals" ?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/

Reply to this post

Response to Locrian (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 11:20 AM

6. Yep

Gun control in California came courtesy of Reagan as a response to the Black Panthers carrying arms.

I'll disarm as soon as the last MAGAt does, not until.

Reply to this post

Response to The Mouth (Reply #6)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 03:18 PM

10. +1

I'll disarm as soon as the last MAGAt does, not until.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 07:15 AM

4. Some have always had rifles.

They are not stupid enough to threaten others or think they stand a chance in an armed insurrection. Show me a private militia group of armed fools and I’ll show you the soon to be deceased.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 08:15 AM

5. I'll leave this here:

"Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 08:09 PM

11. Good. This needs to happen to counterbalance the armed right.

Here, local JBGC can be seen accompanying anti-racist counterprotestors. Well, it was supposed to be a counterprotest, but the fascists didn't show. It's about 1/3 of the way down the page.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rightwing-rally-fizzles-in-georgia-kkk-burned-in-effigy_n_5c5678c7e4b09293b204c473

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread