HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » 'A gun-nut mecca'

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:16 AM

'A gun-nut mecca'

Donít hold your breath waiting for the state Legislature to fix Floridaís cockeyed stand-your-ground law. The National Rifle Association owns too many of the Republican lawmakers who could end the madness.

Nothing will get done as long as black kids are the ones getting shot by white guys claiming they acted in self-defense. What might eventually pressure politicians to change the law is when white guys start getting shot.

The jaw-dropping verdict in the Michael Dunn case in Jacksonville brought not a peep of outrage from GOP leaders in the House or Senate. The outcome shamefully underscored the lunacy of stand-your-ground, and once again put Florida in the national spotlight as a gun-nut mecca.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20140227/OPINION04/302270019/Carl-Hiaasen-gun-nut-mecca-

7 replies, 1390 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'A gun-nut mecca' (Original post)
SecularMotion Mar 2014 OP
Boom Sound 416 Mar 2014 #1
gejohnston Mar 2014 #2
Nuclear Unicorn Mar 2014 #3
oneshooter Mar 2014 #4
Nuclear Unicorn Mar 2014 #5
pablo_marmol Mar 2014 #6
oneshooter Mar 2014 #7

Response to SecularMotion (Original post)

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:29 AM

1. Did Michael Dunn get released?

Oh yeah, of course not, he's not dead yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 10:28 AM

2. "gun nut Mecca"?

Florida's gun ownership rate is about the same as France's. If the writer doesn't know that Mecca is a proper noun, or understand the origin of the phrase, I'm guessing he didn't bother researching his poorly thought out rant.
Which is too bad, because I like Hiaasen's novels.
Donít hold your breath waiting for the state Legislature to fix Floridaís cockeyed stand-your-ground law. The National Rifle Association owns too many of the Republican lawmakers who could end the madness.
All of the Democrats voted for it too. If the law were repealed and revert back to the common law, Florida (like most states) would still be stand your ground. The only thing that would go away would be the immunity hearing.

Nothing will get done as long as black kids are the ones getting shot by white guys claiming they acted in self-defense. What might eventually pressure politicians to change the law is when white guys start getting shot.
Which has nothing to do with stand your ground.

The jaw-dropping verdict in the Michael Dunn case in Jacksonville brought not a peep of outrage from GOP leaders in the House or Senate. The outcome shamefully underscored the lunacy of stand-your-ground, and once again put Florida in the national spotlight as a gun-nut mecca.
What verdict? There wasn't one. It will be retried.

The sticking point was Floridaís spongy self-defense law that essentially allows the use of lethal force if a person feels threatened.
That is true of Duty To Retreat also.

Coming less than a year after George Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, another unarmed black youth, the Dunn case should have shamed legislators into action.
Trayvon wasn't "unarmed", he was committing felony assault while bashing someones head in the sidewalk. Zimmerman endured the beating while screaming for help. Zimmerman fired only after John Good closed his front door instead of helping.
I like Hiaasen's novels, but he is uninformed and a victim of group think.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:55 AM

3. Factually wrong AND racist. You should be ashamed.

Reply to this post

Response to Nuclear Unicorn (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:13 PM

4. There is no shame in Circuler,

he/she/it is doing "Gods Work".

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12625693

CTyankee (39,407 posts)
3. Secular, you are truly doing god's work here on DU!

As a family member of a gun violence victim, I want to thank you for your extensive efforts on this board to advance the cause of sensible gun laws in this country. To do that, you have to enter the nether world of distortion, outright lying, and total fantasy on the part of gun fetishists (many of whom I notice don't show their face anywhere outside of the Gungeon).

Thank you for your efforts! You are deeply appreciated!

And as such has no shame to show.

Reply to this post

Response to oneshooter (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:54 PM

5. Weird.

Usually SM complains bitterly of people not knowing what his true intentions are.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:26 PM

6. I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Reply to this post

Response to pablo_marmol (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 28, 2014, 10:10 PM

7. I like it sliced thin and fried crisp. YUM!! n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread