HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » As Views Shift on Guns, R...

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 07:42 AM

As Views Shift on Guns, Reid Corrals Senate

WASHINGTON — It was, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada ebulliently proclaimed, a “happy day for me” as he stood with Wayne LaPierre, the head of the National Rifle Association, in 2010 at a new shooting range in Las Vegas made possible by federal money secured by Mr. Reid. “People who criticize this probably would criticize baseball,” Mr. Reid said before firing off a few rounds.

These days, Mr. Reid, the Senate majority leader, is far more likely to meet with Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg of New York, an outspoken advocate of stricter gun control, than with Mr. LaPierre as he prepares to bring the most expansive package of gun safety legislation in a decade to the Senate floor over the next few weeks.

Mr. Reid’s evolution from a proponent of gun rights to the shepherd of legislation that would expand background checks, among other gun control measures, emerges from a complex web of political calculations that have come to define his leadership style over the last decade.

How tenacious Mr. Reid is willing to be — and whether he will extract votes one by one as he has for other big pieces of legislation — may well determine the fate of the measures.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/us/politics/harry-reid-draws-on-political-calculus-as-he-leads-senate.html?hp

3 replies, 1182 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply As Views Shift on Guns, Reid Corrals Senate (Original post)
SecularMotion Apr 2013 OP
hack89 Apr 2013 #1
premium Apr 2013 #2
Eleanors38 Apr 2013 #3

Response to SecularMotion (Original post)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 08:02 AM

1. Taking the AWB off the table was the price for Reid's cooperation

he has to walk a thin line to retain Dem control of the Senate in 2014.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hack89 (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 09:43 AM

2. Both Sens. Reid and Heller got quite the earful from NV. residents

on the AWB and mag. limit. Their phones and e-mails were lit up like a christmas tree.
I think I saw somewhere that it was 3-1 against an AWB and mag limits by NV residents.
I'll see if I can find it.

Reply to this post

Response to SecularMotion (Original post)

Mon Apr 1, 2013, 04:00 PM

3. Gee, I wish we had a range like that in Central Texas...

...but we don't have any liberal Senators, here.

"Most expansive package" in ten years? Like comparing a fly fart to that of a flea's.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread