HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Civil Liberties (Group) » Manhattan DA Got Innocent...

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 04:49 PM

Manhattan DA Got Innocent People's Google Phone Data Through A 'Reverse Location' Search Warrant

https://gothamist.com/2019/08/12/google_proud_boys_antifa_nypd.php

Law enforcement authorities in New York are joining a nationwide trend to push Google to share phone data on anyone using its location tracking services near the time and scene of a crime.

The technique uses a type of search warrant known as a “reverse location” or “geofence” warrant, which gives authorities location information on Google users who have Android phones or use apps, such as Google Maps...

...The use of this surveillance technique has not been confirmed in New York City until now. An investigator for the Manhattan DA revealed it during testimony last week in a case involving a politically-charged assault from last year...

...Court records show that this dragnet data request captured the location data of multiple people who were put under law enforcement scrutiny, even though they had nothing to do with the crimes under investigation.

2 replies, 698 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Manhattan DA Got Innocent People's Google Phone Data Through A 'Reverse Location' Search Warrant (Original post)
friendly_iconoclast Aug 2019 OP
RKP5637 Aug 2019 #1
Phoenix61 Aug 2019 #2

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 04:52 PM

1. Creepy! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 05:01 PM

2. Why I keep location off unless I am actively

using an app that has to have it up and running.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread