HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » World History (Group) » A More Accurate World Map...

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 06:25 PM

A More Accurate World Map Wins Prestigious Japanese Design Award.

To design a map of the world is no easy task. Because maps represent the spherical Earth in 2D form, they cannot help but be distorted, which is why Greenland and Antarctica usually look far more gigantic than they really are, while Africa appears vastly smaller than its true size. The AuthaGraph World Map tries to correct these issues, showing the world closer to how it actually is in all its spherical glory.

Created by Hajime Narukawa at Keio University's Graduate School of Media and Governance in Tokyo, the design just won the grand prize from Japanís Good Design Award as Spoon & Tamago reports. It beat out over 1000 entries in a variety of categories.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/88138/more-accurate-world-map-wins-prestigious-japanese-design-award

2 replies, 1291 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A More Accurate World Map Wins Prestigious Japanese Design Award. (Original post)
elleng Nov 2016 OP
Lucky Luciano Nov 2016 #1
Coyotl Nov 2016 #2

Response to elleng (Original post)

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 08:03 PM

1. Cool! I like the way it distorts areas in the oceans instead! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Original post)

Tue Nov 1, 2016, 09:09 PM

2. Thanks for posting.

I'd like a projection following the great circle arc from Teotihuacan to Xian. This is close to that, yet better also.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread