HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Languages and Linguistics (Group) » How to Upgrade your Speec...

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 05:52 PM

How to Upgrade your Speech by Not Saying "Like"

How to Upgrade your Speech by Not Saying “Like”

POSTED ON OCTOBER 28, 2018 BY TAYLOR | CATEGORIES: SELF IMPROVEMENT, SUCCESS
Language and speech are a beautiful thing. And while there are countless books available on the ‘correct’ way to use words and sentences, ultimately the only right way is the way you wish. Each culture and sub-culture contains as many variations on the local language as it does individuals. Efforts to regulate the way people talk are often bound up in politics and social currents that have little to do with the best interests of those who are expected to change the way they speak.

However! We do not each live in a bubble. While the ‘fingerprint’ of your speech is precious, there may be habits you’ve picked up which – while not being ‘wrong’ – are less special than others. And these habits can be misconstrued by the people to whom you speak, who will interpret the nuances of your speech to mean stuff that you quite possibly don’t intend to convey.

Take, for example, the filler. Filler words and sounds include things such as beginning a sentence with ‘so,’ or using the word ‘like’ all over the place to replace terms of approximation (about, around), said words (“I was like, ‘no way!’), or just when you’re struggling to find the correct word at all.

Sometimes we use these words because we feel rushed, or lack the confidence to use a more complex, precise alternative, or wish to convey that we’re speaking in a ‘down to Earth’ way. Experts say that the use of these words can actually be a sign of intelligence or thoughtfulness. The word ‘like’ modulates your sentence; it implies that what you’re saying is nuanced and that you wish to express your meaning clearly.
Snip

More at link.

https://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-your-speech-by-not-saying-like/

~lmsp

6 replies, 235 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to Upgrade your Speech by Not Saying "Like" (Original post)
littlemissmartypants Nov 8 OP
flibbitygiblets Nov 8 #1
calimary Nov 8 #2
Glorfindel Nov 8 #3
TygrBright Nov 8 #4
tymorial Nov 8 #5
sdfernando Nov 8 #6

Response to littlemissmartypants (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 05:54 PM

1. Peppering one's sentences with "like" denotes intelligence? On what planet?

Excuse me. On, like, what planet?

I rest my case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 05:57 PM

2. Like, so, ...

So, like, I so like this!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 06:08 PM

3. And I'm like, "I dunno," ya know?

It's like, well, that's just your opinion, man. Know what I'm sayin'? Like, hipsville.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 06:08 PM

4. That's, like, just somebody's opinion, man... n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 06:26 PM

5. Like totally.

I also understand that constructing short stunted sentences with middle school level vocabulary and grammar is evidence of ones genius. And not just any type of genius, a like, bigly stable genius.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 06:50 PM

6. Ima like gonna be so smart!

Some of this comes about because of texting on phones. People are in a hurry and do not want to type out a whole word.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread