HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Gauging how much to feed ...

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:25 AM

Gauging how much to feed kittens is tricky. I read that they can't really be over fed. Suggestions?

I had NO idea what I was doing when I brought in Madoc and his siblings and no doubt make some mistakes. I'm a definitely less panicked than that first week with them, but also still a bit insecure.

When they seem to get their fill I just leave the bowls because I know they will clean them, later. BUT sometimes I see them eyeing the litter boxes like the litter might be an appetizer or even dipping their noses in. So, I give them a little more milk replacement.

They're on an every 6 hour schedule, right now, and I'm increasing the ratio of pate to kitten milk. The pate definitely seems to keep them satisfied longer. I just don't want to cut out the milk completely, yet, but will start weaning them off by diluting it with purified water.

They are full of energy and a couple of them have accomplished climbing 'Mt. Mom's Leg' with no assistance from me so I figure they are sufficiently nourished.

2 replies, 403 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gauging how much to feed kittens is tricky. I read that they can't really be over fed. Suggestions? (Original post)
Siwsan May 14 OP
virgdem May 14 #1
SheltieLover May 14 #2

Response to Siwsan (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:42 AM

1. Check out kitten lady videos on YouTube.

She covers all you need to know about feeding growing kittens. Good luck.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Siwsan (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:10 AM

2. I'd let them eat till satiated

Mt. St. Mom's leg...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread