HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » I've noticed a lot more v...

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 09:26 AM

I've noticed a lot more visitors

I've been feeding an extra cat or two outside for quite awhile. I've noticed a couple of new ones in recent days. I'm starting to wonder what's up. Are we already at a point where people can't afford pet food?

I've thought about what I would do if I could no longer afford cat food. My own four are all excellent hunters, so they'll likely be ok regardless.

This could get rough for our animal friends too.

6 replies, 382 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've noticed a lot more visitors (Original post)
Rorey Mar 20 OP
fleur-de-lisa Mar 20 #1
Rorey Mar 20 #4
femmocrat Mar 20 #2
Rorey Mar 20 #3
iscooterliberally Mar 20 #5
Rorey Mar 20 #6

Response to Rorey (Original post)

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 09:58 AM

1. I hope that's not the case.

I have only been to my local grocery store (in New Orleans) a few times over the last few weeks, but each time the pet food aisle has been well-stocked.

No toilet paper, bread, canned goods, but plenty of pet food.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to fleur-de-lisa (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 10:39 AM

4. Yeah, plenty of cat food

Also, I notice there was plenty of junk food - chips, candy. That was a relief!

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 10:03 AM

2. Maybe they are hanging around because you are there.

They are expecting food to show up.

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #2)

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 10:38 AM

3. And it does.

I know that there are some colony managers around here. My mail lady told me about them. I started putting food out for a cat that looked like he was a death's door. Did that for a couple of years until he didn't come any more, but of course by then I had to keep putting food out for another cat who was coming to eat. I had always though he belonged to somebody because he looked like he was brushed.

That's really all there was, besides my own cats, for a couple of years. Now there are two more, and one is here several times a day. He's got his ear clipped, so that's a relief.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 01:18 PM

5. A stray dog came by my warehouse today.

He was afraid, but I did get him a bowl of water to drink. I could not get near him though and he took off. I hope he finds his way back. There are a bunch of feral cats around here and I keep them fed. I have four at home and two strays that show up at home as well. I was having trouble finding cat food at the grocery store a few days ago. I placed an order with Chewy just in case. The stores around me are stocking back up though. I would expect to see more strays roaming around in the coming weeks though. It's bound to happen.

Reply to this post

Response to iscooterliberally (Reply #5)

Fri Mar 20, 2020, 01:22 PM

6. Chewy

I've made a lot of orders recently.

I hope that pup is okay.

My own personal four cats are all great hunters, so no matter what happens, I think they'd be okay. I really didn't want to have any pets after my last dog went over the rainbow bridge, but I have to admit that it's nice to have these guys around, even though I can't touch three of them. (Mama cat hid them for their first two months, and they are wearing invisible "Look, Don't Touch" signs.)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread